Pagan Preacher??

I am a proud pagan woman and I am not only very firm in my beliefs but I know how a strong spiritual connection can literally save your life. I honestly believe that if I could find any truth in Christianity I would be a Preacher or Pastor. But being Pagan, there aren't any similar positions... It tends to be more of a we will help those who come to us kind of deal. - And I am fine with that... I hate door knockers as much as everyone else.

However, my question is this. I want to do spiritual workshops or even teaching through local shelters or drug rehab centers. I know first hand how a connection to the divine can save people in the lowest of places and I want to help others.

Does anyone have advice on how I could do this, without breaking that big unwritten rule of "no proselytizing?"

Any help would be great! Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it comes down to the old adage "When the teacher is ready, the master will appear." Answer questions that are asked of you as honestly as you can, give people something to think about. If you are really meant to help someone, then they will be placed in your life, it's just up to you (and them) to be able to recognize this.

LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 3:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• We attend a UU church. Many of the members are pagan to some degree. There are great outreach programs and religious exploration classes that our congregation does. We don't instruct on a single path, we offer information to people asking questions. Maybe you have a congregation near you?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• OP Here - the closest UU Church is over 2 hours from me.

I guess what I am more interested in is helping in need and at risk people find a connection to their own spirituality. My DH is a recovering Heroin Addict and I have been homeless more than once. I know that a connection to the Gods is the only thing that really helps get someone through some of the darker aspects of life.

Rape, Abuse, Drug & Alcohol addiction, Homelessness & Hunger have all been a part of my life and at 26 I have already been through more than most people twice my age. Without my connection to the Goddess I would be dead. However, I understand that not everyone has the same beliefs and I believe it's the spirituality that matters more than the Deity itself... I would love to do some kind of outreach and help others find their connection through hard times...
    Anonymous

• You don't have to be ordained to volunteer or get training to volunteer as a counselor, and you don't have to be ordained to offer advice. Volunteer, and if along the way, people have questions, answer them the best you can. There is no official training program to be a gothi either, it is determined by virtue of being the wisest person there.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• *I should clarify that - you don't have to be ordained to qualify for the training.
    NotPanicking

• I would volunteer at places where people like that go. Talk to them about your beliefs and over time you will spark interest. Then you will have a group that you can start a workshop or something.
    (for the record, I am a Christian, but you have the right to your beliefs and helping others in a way you see fit. you might even learn from THEM! :) )
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Cherry Hill Seminary if your looking for the religious aspect.

You don't have to be a preacher to help people in need. You can do counsellingwork. Volunteer.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2010