kids, seconds on food

Does your kid ever do this: gobble their food down, ask for more... you make more or heat up more or whatever and then they take 1 or 2 bites and announce they're done?

WHY... and how to remedy? Driving me insane. Seriously. Food waste annoys me very much!

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If your kids only eat a little bit of the second serving, only give them a little bit the second time around.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Don't go so long between meals. If they get hungry they eat quickly thinking they are starving. It takes a few minutes to get to the stomach and feel full. Take a few minutes before you make more or add a snack/fruit at the end of the meal.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Tell them they have to finish their water glass before you'll make another plate. Or offer half a banana.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I agree with first pp. Make them wait a while before getting a second helping. Or make their second helping small.
    Anonymous

• My son does this all the time. One thing I have learned is to make him slow down.

Anonymous

• I usually don't serve big helpings anyway, our little one is currently on the "toddler air diet". So what I do fix for him, I try and make it something I know he'll love, is the healthiest I can get it so if he only eats a little, I don't worry.

We're always sneaking healthy stuff in on them when they aren't looking anyway. They think a couple of spoons of instant breakfast mix in their oatmeal is really cool. Especially if it's chocolate. lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It takes time for the stomach to tell the brain that it is full, so if your kids are gobbling their food down quickly, then neither the brain nor the stomach have had time to realize they've been fed. Make them slow down when they eat. Give them smaller portions to control how fast they finish their meals and/or make them drink water in-between bites of food. Having a nice conversation during dinner, especially asking lots of questions, will also force them to come up for air because they have to answer you. By getting them into the habit of eating more slowly, you will be doing them a huge favor as they grow up, because they'll be able to recognize when they are full & know to stop eating, therefore less likely to overeat & become obese. They'll also develop excellent social & conversational skills, which they can use in their daily lives. They'll learn patience & the meaning of delayed gratification, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• conversation during the meal helps too........... makes them eat slower and gives time for the stomach and brain to connect.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 9:03 AM on Apr. 24, 2010