Simple, Healthy Dinners? Pls Help!

Im making my grocery list right now. We really want to start eating more healthy. but i dont know any easy, but healthy dinners?
The ones ive found online usually have 1-3 ingredients I cant find in the store! :-( (I shop at Kroger)
Our usual dinners are like:(1) ShakeNBake w/ Pork chops, MacNCheese (box), greenbeans... (2) Spaghetti w/HB meat, jar sauce, french bread, salad... Always 1 meat, 1-2 veggies, sometimes a rice/bean/noodles..
I think our dinners are to big. and should be more of the size of a lunch. Any advice. So lost! I know the basics of what I cook weekly, but UGH. Im clueless! I want to be a lil' suzy homemaker! lol..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Some of our favorite meals (usually UNDER 30 minutes to make):

Turkey chili with corn bread
    Grilled chicken or steak salad
    Mango Pineapple chicken stirfry with rice
    Homemade chicken noodle soup
    Roasted chicken with roast root vegetables (takes about 2 hours total but only about 20 minutes of prep)
    Crock pot bison roast (the bison is MUCH leaner and healthier than beef but you can sub a beef roast)
    Homemade tacos/burritos (super healthy if you make it with ground turkey)
    Gazpacho (yummy cold tomato soup, fresh everything, but you do have to blend to make it lol. Takes about 10 minutes)

Message me if you want any recipes.

Also for snacking I love BUYING Tribe brand hummus, there's nothing artificial added to it, no preservatives and junk like that
    in it, and if you get the Forty Spice flavor, its GREAT on wheat thins flat breads or with fresh veggies.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Your dinner's sound like ours LOL. They are not necessarily UNHEALTHY just try making what you already make with healthier ingredients. For example - add veggies to spaghetti sauce and use whole wheat noodles. Try to make a smaller amount and serve smaller portions if you think there is too much.
    Anonymous

• Add salad to every meal, and eat the salad first.
    Use "plain" ingredients, like broiled chicken, fish or hamburger. Then a side of veggies and a small serving of whole grain bread or pasta. Get away from boxed things, (that's what I'm trying to do)....no more boxed mac/cheese, boil the macaroni and put the cheese(s) in yourself. Add grated carrot to it.
    I've been checking out Jamie Oliver's website (from Food Network) and I"m planning to try a lot of his recipes, including the homemade spaghetti sauce.
    Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• salad plus garbanzo beans, beets, eggwhites, croutons, cheese

baked chicken grilled asparagus

sausage stir fry

avacado tomato bacon sandwich and soup
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• OP here....
    Im getting soooo TICKED off right now.. Is healthy eating really that difficult? Every darn recipe i look at i have to blend. or puree. and EVERY DARN recipe requires something ive never heard of!
    Ive seen alot of people talk about Hummus.. its great. yummy.. healthy.. WTH is tahini?! cause i need it to make hummus :-(
    I just feel like the only way to eat a yummy healthy meal is to spend hours in the kitchen.... I need a "yummy" kitchen that inspires lol...
    ** feels like a big winny baby not getting her way right now ** lol.
    Anonymous

• Tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds. If you don't have access to it, I just found some tips that say you can substitue peanut butter
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• One dish meals are good for light healthy meals...here are some ideas:
    wraps (grilled chicken Caesar, southwestern with chicken, black beans, corn and salsa ranch)
    pasta salad with chunks of chicken thrown in and lots of veggies
    grilled steak or chicken salads with toasted bread on the side
    loaded baked potatoes (lightly steamed broccoli, cheese, bacon and sour cream)
    omelettes with cheese and veggies and whole weat toast
    chili with beans, cheese layered with a corn bread topping (baked like a casserole...my favorite comfort food!) and side salad
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Oh I should add, all mine are very healthy because I am on a low sodium, low fat, no dairy diet but they are all very good. Even my kids, who are very picky, and hubby who is a major foodie, all love those recipes.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• A simple trick my nutrition professor gave us was: the more colors in your meal, the healthier it's likely going to be.

So take your average meal, and ask yourself "how can I add another color to this?"

I just did that yesterday when I was making plain old pancakes, then decided to throw in some blueberries and bananas.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I panfry skinless breaded chicken in chicken broth. The broth draws out the chicken fat and steam cooks the inside making it juicy. when I know the chicken is cooked, I pour out the broth and sear with 2-3 tablespoons of Canola, to get that fried chicken taste and texture.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 9:01 AM on Apr. 24, 2010