at what age should my lil boy start talking he is 13 months old?

he was premature. But he already walks and says mama and dada but my daughter started talking at 10 months. any advise

hottmammi21

Asked by hottmammi21 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He doesn't say anything besides momma and dadda? I know all kids develop differently, but have you talked to his doctor? He could have problems with hearing or comprehending, a large number of things.. I am pretty much positive that by 13 months he should be talking a bit more than that..
    Anonymous

• At 18 mos they should be able to say 3 words. My dd said mama, dada and ball until she turned 19 mos then was up to 45 words by the end of the week! Just keep working with him, he will get it! If your really worried you can talk to your dr.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• my dd spoke a lot of word by the time she was 12 months. I would talk to the doctor about it. he may need early intervention or something.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 5:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Don't listen to the first poster!!
    Anonymous

• Don't worry about it. I would say if your child isn't talking much by 18 months then you should be concerned. My son was born 3 weeks early and didn't say much. He was late to crawl, walk, and talk. I was constantly being told by everyone about how quickly their children were achieving these mile stones. It made me wonder if something was wrong with my kid. A sweet lady at my church told me to not compare my child to the others and love him for his accomplishments at his pace. Now my child is 3 and I can't get him to stop talking. He actually speaks better than some of the children that were talking before him. I will say that after my son had tubes put in his ears that he did speak more clearly. If you are truly concerned, talk with your child's pediatrician. He/She will be able to truly tell if there is an issue if you think there might be one. Otherwise, just enjoy every moment you got with your sweet baby!
    jdelain79

Answer by jdelain79 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• just as an fyi, animal noises (what sound does a cow make? moo) count as words. Being a premie, I know adjusted age comes into play to an extent. you should have had him in for his one year appointment. They do the eval and would have asked where he was at with talking. What did his ped. say? I think he should be ok. Plus girls tend to be more verbal than boys. Pay attention to other indicators of issues, like autism, and trust that sometimes they do things at their own pace :)
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010