Can you tell one's religion by the outside appearance?

This was a question in one of my groups? But it was worded can you tell if someone is a Christian by the way they conduct themselves and their outward appearance?

I say you can't judge a book by it's cover. We have good days and bad and just a brief meeting through the supermarket, really can't tell you what one may believe. So what say you? I thought it would be interesting to get other people's points of view that are not Christians.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• SOMETIMES, not always. Sometimes you can see a tatooed guy on a motorcycle and he is a Chrsitian... .other times he could be an atheist murderer...
    same with political "orientation" lol... whenever I go to whole foods i look at what people are wearing... like if they look like a hippie i always assume HUGE LIBERAL... i may or may not be right, lol.
    However, sometimes, yes very much. Like the amish. or mennonite. they have a distinct dress usually.
    or orthodox jews.
    or witches, with the pointy hats and warts, ya know?
    KIDDING! about hte witches.
    I am a christian though... but I can't just judge a book. :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Sometimes, but I never assume.

Menonites, Amish, Orthodox Jews, Hari Krishnas, and priests wearing collars are usually easy to spot.

Women dressed conservatively with long hair and dresses are often some form of fundamentalists.

Middle-easteners are usually Muslim.

Latinos are usually Catholic.

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• There are some ppl that you can ID their beliefs quickly enough and then there are many you can not. As for judging a book by it's cover, I don't normally give it a thought as to who-what-where or whatever about a person while out and about... LOL...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I don't think so. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Some you can, some the more they are faking it the more obvious they are about it, and others dress appropriately and act as ordained by their religion.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Technically, if someone is acting a certain way or wearing jewelry or clothing,etc then you can figure it out.

If it was just some person in jeans and a t-shirt(lets say)and no jewelry to speak of then odds are good you cant tell.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I say no... I know MANY tattooed people (including hubby and myself) who are Christian. I wear jewelry and makeup and pants...

On the other hand, I know some people who only wear dresses who are NOT Christian... so you can't judge a book by it's cover.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Sometimes you can see a tatooed guy on a motorcycle and he is a Chrsitian... .other times he could be an atheist murderer

I love how Christian isn't demonized by any following adjective such as you did with "atheist murderer" which would imply you think all atheists are murderers. Nice how you did that! The added adjective was completely unnecessary.
    No, you can't judge a person's religion by how they look or how they conduct themselves. Some people try to and are taken by surprise when they find out they are wrong. Take for example my sister and I. She dresses goth with a lot of skull and crossbones, hair dyed unnatural colors, etc. I dress more conservatively in jeans and layered tops. She is Christian, I am atheist.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Some times not not always.
    I usually can tell when they offer to save my soul.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Funny, all the murderers I know proclaim to be christians.

Guess not, everyone I know thinks I'm a christian, and they are so very wrong. And like Kristi, I wear jeans. And I expose very little skin. But I know plenty of skanky slut-bunnies in tube tops and short shorts who say they are christians.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2010