When should I start giving my baby juice?

My baby is 5 months old and I was wondering if it's ok to start giving her juice. She's started eating a little bit of baby food a day, and is starting to cut some teeth. If not, when is a good age to start giving her juice? How much juice? Are there certain kinds I shouldn't give her? Do I need to dilute it? If so, jow much water should I add?

AirForceWife14

Asked by AirForceWife14 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She doesn't need juice, it is best to wait until 12 months, then dilute it with at least half water. No more than a few ounces a day.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• your baby doesn't need juice. my oldest is 3 and rarely ever gets it.
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I only used juice as a constipation remedy (now that she can have baby fruit I dont' use it at all) My dtr is 7.5 mos. Most pedi's say to stay away from juice, as its high in natural sugar and will fill up a baby with less nutrients than in either breast milk or formula. If you do decide to give juice, dilute it half and half with water.
    Anonymous

• Mine where 6 and 9 months respectively. My daughter started juice later because she was still breastfeeding exclusively at 6 month and then I just continued to put it off. Even when they did get it it was watered down and rare. It's just fun to offer something different than formula or BM sometimes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• We introduced juice as an occasional treat when our daughter was three.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• You CAN give it now. But really, the only liquid you SHOULD be giving is formula or breastmilk. Juice is just sugar.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2010