Any yard sale tips?

*I don't have trees in my yard nor a garage....how do I hang clothes? (I know they sale better if hanging up)
*How do I display items that can't be hung up?
*Any other tips?

Thanks!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you want to go all out you can rent clothing racks (I wouldn't do this unless it is a huge garage sale). You might be able to attach clothesline cord to your house somewhere and use that for hanging items.

For non-hanging items I like to use tables or bins. If you have lots of baby clothes sort them by size and type and put them in a bin. You can label the bins very clearly using index cards and a marker. You can put bins on the ground, but people are more likely to look if you put them up on tables. You can borrow folding tables from friends, relatives, and neighbors, or make makeshift tables with boards over same height items; if the wood is rough cover it with a blanket.
    Anonymous

• Also - go to yardsalequeen.com for lots of great tips
    Anonymous

• oh, i was gonna comment on your other post but i got a phone call. My husband made something for me to hang stuff out of this chain to hang from our garage doors. I was so mad cuz i wanted to go out and buy something but he said to trust him so i did and it worked. We also made tables out of old closet doors and the saw horses.

also from your question earlier (i think it was you) about prices. We had tons of kids clothes that are in good condition. We priced 2 and 3 dollars. People are going to haggle you so be prepared for that and when they do say sure, i'll give it to you for 2 dollars. So if you really want 2 dollars for a pair of jeans, you may want to put 3 on them. And be nice. If someone spends 17 dollars on clothes...tell them "oh, you can give me 15"...that way they may want to buy more.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• You can buy a clothes rack. I have seen them at yard sales. When I go to a yard sale I like to see it organized. If it is a mess and disorganized I go elsewhere. If you have infant clothes, put them in size order, like all 0-3 months in one pile, 3-6 in next and etc.. I have been to some yard sales where they were just all thrown together and who wants to stand and sort through everything. Think of the pregnant ladies if you are selling infant toys, sock and etc.. It is hard enough for them to stoop down, have it on a table. Every yard sale I go I have seen infant shoes, toys and socks in a box on the ground. It made is difficult to go through when I was pregnant. Same for adult clothes put them in size order. Key thing is making it organized. If someone makes a mess just put it back together nicely, even though that's a pain. Good luck!! I go to yard sales all the time and I like to see it nicely organized!
    Anonymous

• Oh and another thing is. If the clothes are in awesome shape and name brand a lot of people don't mind paying more for them. My mom will pay up to $12 for a nice brand name coat or whatever. She wouldn't for tshirt but sweatshirts she would. Same for infant clothes, I will pay $8 for a brand name outfit.
    Anonymous

• good luck...we made 550.00 this past weekend with ours..hope you do just as well!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Go to the Dollar Tree or Walmart and buy a few hooks that you can attach to the house by either screwing them in or with an adhesive backing on them (that won't tear up the paint!) and attach a clothesline to it. You can use a regular rope, cord etc for a clothesline. Do you have a fence out front? You could always hang them from a fence too.
    Instead of tagging each item put a sing infront of the clothes that says "Shoes $1.50, Shirts $2, pants $2" Etc. It will save you money on tagging it. Even if you do tag it chances are they won't see it and will ask you anyway. Same with books put a basic price on them. Usually .25-.75 for paperback and 1.00-2.00 for hardback.
    Anonymous

• I've seen clothes hanging from the fence and gates, and once, even off the van! She strung some clothes line from front to back, using the luggage rack and hung the clothes off that.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 6:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2010