Broken promises...and i'm afraid it's affecting my DD!!!! Help!

My SIL came over the other day to sit with my kids, 2 out of 3 were asleep and so she just basically had to watch my DD (3 years old) while I went to pick up a perscription for my hubby.
Well on her way out she was telling my DD that she was going to come over the next day right after work the next day to ride bikes (on of my DD's FAVORITE things) and play with my nephew (her son).
Well it never happened....and she got my DD really excited, but never followed through. My in laws are the kind of people who would be up in arms and defensive (not open to hearing mistakes or w/e) if I said ANYTHING about what they did wrong (they've all done it, SIL, FIL and MIL before). I don't know how to handle this situation and prevent my DD from getting her hopes up just to be crushed when they don't pick her up etc. Help! What can I do???? I'm pissed! It's my child that's being affected.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• tell your kid not to believe untill she sees it.dont bad mouth them just tell her some people forget or get too busy
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• There's not much you can do for a 3 year old. Just try to explain it away--she tried but couldn't make it. right now you'll have to make excuses for her until you can talk to your SIL and tell her/ask her not to do that again. Say something like "I know you had the best intentions however, she really looks forward to doing things with you. Maybe next time tell her the next time you see her you will ride bikes with her---don't tell her specifically when that will be."

My best friend was supposed to come here tomorrow (she lives 10 hours away) and I asked her not to say anything to my kids and she did anyway. Well now she's not coming and my boys are EXTREMELY disappointed---she did this a few months ago as well. Today I said "Look, this is why I asked you NOT to say anything to them. Not only did you tell them you were coming but you told the oldest (8 years old) that you promise you will be here no matter what."
    Anonymous

• my dad was like this my whole life.. it WILL affect them.. but I learned what I didn't want in a partner so that was a bonus..lol! Tell your SIL that's NOT ok..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2010