At what age would you allow your children on Facebook?

My almost 11 yr old DD wants her own facebook. I say no, but I also don't want her to try to sneak it(especially at her dad's)

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 5:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Set it up for her and know the password. Tell her you will be checking up on her, and if you find inappropriate things on there then you won't allow her to have one. Make sure dad's hopefully on board for it....express your concerns to him about it...and see if he'll support you. Share the password with him so he can check up on her as well.
    Anonymous

• Thats a tough one because I don't have older children, but I see a lot of my younger cousin's FBs and Myspaces and some of the things that were on there were devastating to me lol I don't even check them anymore because it's too weird for me. I say if you let her have one there needs to be rules on it and you should have the information to her account so that you can keep an eye on things. I know some may see it as an invasion of privacy, but IMO it's just being safe.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• not 11..i would think more like 16
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• 18....they techinically are not suppose to have facebook till then so if you set it up you are lying. My SIL was going to let my niece have one at 14 till she realized she had to say she was 18 and she is not
    Anonymous

• My 13, almost 14, yo doesn't have one. She'll be in high school next year, so maybe then. I'm thinking maybe 15 or 16 would be better, but not sure yet. I do know 11 would be a definite no in my family. Have you seen the stuff people post on there?
    Anonymous

• as long as i had access i dont see a proble. I would also warn her about adding all those stupid applications too. I got a warning today that there is one app going around that a pediphile is running
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I believe the rule on Facebook is 13. I know lots of other 9 yr olds who have an account, but I won't let mine have one because I want to set a good example about following the rules. I see so many people who don't think the rules apply to them and it really bugs me.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I allowed my daughter to have a fb page when she was 15. With the understanding that I am her facebook friend, I have full access to her account, password etc. She's 16 now and the same rules apply. Facebook can be scary if put in the wrong hands. I make sure her privacy settings are all private etc. Back to your question, yes I think 11 is way too young. Webkinz is a great website for an 11 year old. Please wait.........you don't want her to grow up to fast.
    Callie140

Answer by Callie140 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I say no. my SD had one set up at her mom's but she used an e-mail address that I had the password to and she gave me the password to the facebook so I deleted it. she never said anything about it. she also set up a couple myspaces at her mom's. i deleted the first two....since again, was set up with an e-mail and password i knew and she told me she didnt want it set up (she was lying to me....but not the point). the last one she set up with an e-mail i didn't have access to, but a mom on here directed me to a place where you can report underage users of myspace. so I reported her and the page was deleted. she has noticed that its gone, but doesn't know why. My SD is 9, by the way. And also, her dad (my SO) does not want her having these pages.
    Anonymous

• My 10 yr old daughter has a Facebook and I really see nothing wrong with it. I have the username/password and the deal is that she is not allowed to request any friends or accept a request from anyone unless I approve of it first. Also she is not allowed to click on "applications" or even play games without my permission. Plus I am on facebook also so I can constantly see what she is doing/saying. I would let her have one, set some rules and at least give her the chance to show responsibility. If she abuses it, you can always close the account but I know for my daughter it is a really fun way to keep up with relatives, see pics of her cousins, etc. since we don't live by our family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2010