Single mom struggling to pay for childcare during school!

I receive childcare assistance for the hours I am at work. I am also in school, and the assistance will not cover childcare hours for my classtime. The assistance pays for 30 hours per week to allow for travel time. It's okay for right now because my daycare accepts the 30 hours paid by the assistance for full-time care. Where I'm finding trouble is what to do for this coming fall semester and beyond. My oldest daughter will be starting kindergarten. Full-day kindergarten has an extra monthly fee. I will need her to attend full day kindergarten, as well as before and after school care on site. (hope you're still with me at this point)

My question is, Is there anyone I can talk to (county assistance, school, etc,) that can help me figure this out? What have you done?

mari2mila

Asked by mari2mila at 5:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Talk to the school and the people who run the after school program. Explain to them what is going on and they may have a way of helping you out. At the very least it never hurts to ask. Good Luck!
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• In my state there is a program called compass that is available for single moms who are in school. I would check with the Department of Family and Children services to see if they offer something like that in your state.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I would ask at the department of social services for your city or state. Good luck!!!! :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• The Salvation Army Church in our town offers a free after school program until 6:30 in our area. I know not all churches do the same in every area but they help out with so much, it'd be a good place to check with. :) Can you arrange your schedule so you don't start work or school until after your daughter starts school?
    Anonymous

• My daughter was in the same situation and NO there is no other help. You can call every hotline and assistance line, but they will tell you no. Daycare assistance does not cover the whole amount of childcare for two. The only thing you can do is to find a cheaper daycare or get a job in the school system working when you kindergartner goes to school. That's what she did. Put the youngest in daycare only.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2010