Multi-grain

when can babies start on multi-grain?
beechnut has a whole grain, multi-grain with apples and yogurt cereal. Would that be acceptable for 6 1/2 months?
Please dont tell me babies dont need cereal, that was not the question..I just want to know when they can have multi-grain..thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started giving my son cereal at 6 mths. I think it's absolutely fine. They can have baby food at 4mths...why not cereal?!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Our pediatrician said no grains until 9 months.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• If your baby hasn't had yogurt and apples before, I'd stay away from that combination. If you baby has had yogurt, apples, and has had single grain cereal I would think its okay. The reason I say this is because if he/she has an allegic reaction, you'll be able to tell more easily what its from. If not, I suggest trying the multigrain cereal mixed with something she's already had, first.
    Anonymous

• A baby's best food is mother's milk, or if that is not possible, formula. Newborns really should not be eating cereal or any other baby foods until they are around four to six months old.

Somewhere between four and six months, but probably closer to six months, your baby will be ready for solid foods. By that age, he will be able to move food to the back of his mouth to swallow and his digestive system will be better able to handle solids. You baby will give you signs he is ready for solids. To start, he will be much more aware of his surroundings. He may reach out for your food, put objects in his mouth, watch you closely as you eat and seem hungry after feedings.

Anonymous

• If it's got wheat in it, I'd suggest closer to 12 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Babies don't need cereal and you risk multiple grain allergies. It would be best to wait a min of 9 mo and 12 mo would be better. Of course by then the baby would probably not eat it because it doesn't taste good. Babies never need baby cereal. The only reason it was invented was to get iron in babies before iron could be in formula. If you must feed cereal rice causes the least allergies.

My family has a lot of allergies but not to bad on foods. My DIL has no allergies at all. My poor 18 mo grandson is allergic to food I didn't even know people could be allergic to. He has a rare genetic disease that is the reason. He is still breastfed at 18 mo and everything was done perfect. Believe me, you don't want to make your child allergic to grains. Not being able to eat rice, wheat, and oats eliminates a lot of food.

It's just not worth the chance it because you think it would be fun to feed the cereal.
    Anonymous