i am 17 weeks pregnant and got an ultrasound in which they found that the right femur bone is slightly shorter than the left. i got my blood tests back and they all came back normal for down syndrome. but with the ultrasound results and my bloodwork combined it put me at 1 in 509 for ds. should i be worried?

indysownlilbit

Asked by indysownlilbit at 6:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't let yourself get to worked up over it. 1 in 509 is still a pretty low chance. You don't need to let yourself get too stressed out. Pregnancy is hard enough on your body when your not stressed!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• what good would worry do? I would not worry until the time comes that something is certain and even then I would not worry but be pro-active and learn more about the challenges ahead-if any. Does this information change your feelings toward the pregnancy and child?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• no it does not change my thoughts on having my kid. i am just not be strong enough to deal with it.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 6:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I was 1/10 for DS and when they did the sono they didn't find any attributes for DS.
    Did they say both femurs were short, or they did they say one was normal and the other was shorter than the normal one? Because it sounds a little wierd that only one would be short...they may have measured wrong....these things are tricky.
    Anonymous

• If you really want to know, have an amniocentesis. They are not painful. I've had 3 and I would do it again.

Anonymous

• amneocentesis does not hurt? and yes they said that it was only one leg. has anyone ever experienced this before?
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 8:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Hi amnio looks much worse than it is. I have to say it is much less painful than a blood test. You hardly feel anything just pressure and it only takes a minute. It is worth the peace of mind instead of worrying for months. It is really standard procedure for older women 35+. I had them all done in the Dr's office. Not a big deal. Don't stress out over the amnio. I am trying to get pregnant again and I will Definately have one again. I am a chicken about medical things and I was perfectly fine with it. :)
    Anonymous

• I'd have the amnio done.
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 9:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Well. No you should not be worried. Why? You cannot change anything. If your child has down syndrome then they will want specialists there during the birth, but other than that a baby is a baby. You will love this baby. It may take time to heal the expectations and dreams, but you will get there. HUGS. Go with the amnio so the doctors can be prepared if neccesary and your mind can be put to rest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2010