Can a Catholic priest/deacon marry you outside of the church?

I want to get married at Vibiana's in Downtown Los Angeles. It's BEAUTIFUL!! It used to be a Catholic Cathedral but after the Northridge earthquake the church was going to be demolished. An investor came in and bought it and turned it into a reception hall. Did I mention how beautiful it is???
Will a Catholic priest/deacon marry us if it's no longer a church??

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• http://www.vibianala.com/

Check it out for yourself!

Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It's up to the Priest or Deacon. They can marry you there if they choose, just ask. It is beautiful.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Sorry Ryansmom, I had experience with this about 20 years ago. It could be just my priest didn't want to do this.

From what I was told the nuptials are to be in the church, you can do a vow exchange again at this place but to 'get married' it has to be in a Catholic Church. If this still as the Catholic blessing it might be OK. I do agree with Ryansmom that you need to ask the priest, however, I was told the marriage has to be in a Catholic Church but vow renewals, services and blessings can be done elsewhere.
    Anonymous

• I couldnt look at the place. Do you have a link that doesn't require a download
    Anonymous

• You might have to get permission from the Bishop in your area. A priest can help you find out what the requirements are. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Anon - google vibiana's weddings, BEAUTIFUL pictures!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• If you contact the people at Vibiana's they may also be able to help you, since other people may have also had this concern they may have the answer for you.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• It's up to your diocese. Our priest was not allowed to marry us outside the church. The diocese had rules against it.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• A Catholic has to get permission from the bishop of their dioceses to be married outside of a Catholic Church - the priest or deacon performing the ceremony would probably be able to help with the process. There has to be a pretty good reason though. For example, if the wife's father is a Lutheran minister and the couple wants to be married at his Lutheran church, the Catholic bishop may give permission for that, but a Catholic priest/deacon probably needs to be part of the ceremony at the Lutheran church.

While God is everywhere - Catholics have a sense of a sacred place. In a Catholic Church, Christ is present in the Eucharist which is why it's important to celebrate sacraments there. However, the reception can be anywhere! I doesn't have to be at the church where the wedding took place. So you could have the wedding at a Catholic Church and the reception at Vibiana's.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• From what I read on the web site, the area is desanctified. It is very unlikely it will be allowed but you won't know until you ask.

There are other options. You can have a small ceremony at your parish with a bride, groom and two witnesses and then have a ceremony at this gorgeous place. The priest has the right to do it, but may have a wedding of his own if it is in the summer.

I wanted to have a beach wedding and I was told it is very rare the diocese allowed it. BUT with the right reasons it can happen.
    gbaby01

Answer by gbaby01 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2010