Why do Americans have Local Organizations when there is a Welfare System?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because charity begins at home.

Contrary to some opinions people do like to help each other and many are extrememly generous in a lot of different ways. The world functioned for thousands of years with no welfare system. People depended upon themselves and each other for survival. IMO, local charity should be front and center of the help, not federal govt aid.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Because the welfare system does not help everyone in everyway needed. Because some people like to do volunteer work, and help others. B/c a lot of people realize that people helping people is more productive sometimes than the government.
    Anonymous

• You mean like local charities to help the needy also?
    Anonymous

• Because there is not enough to go around in the welfare system, because a lot of people don't qualify for welfare, because they can get what they need quicker. It is people helping people and that is always a good thing.

Answer by older at 7:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Let me put it this way. If I was short on food, I could go to my church leaders..and through our own church's private welfare system, get groceries and basic help within 24 hours.

...or I could go to welfare, and go through a lengthy application process and wait and wait and wait while I go hungry.

The private organizations are just better and faster at getting things done.
    Anonymous

• Because some of us still believe we should depend on one another, not the government for help
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 7:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It sometimes takes some time to go through the welfare system and recieve benefits which is why it's a great thing that non-profits do to help these people. Non-profits are simply responding to a need after doing much research on the topic and identifying the need in the community. There are many reasons why the government declines applicants who want welfare and that's where the non-profit comes in.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Have you ever been on welfare? I am right now and believe me, what we get isn't enough. Yes, my husband has a job but between his paycheck and food stamps, it's barely enough to cover all the bills, much less get clothes if our LO's suddenly hit a growth spurt. Not to mention, you can't get welfare without an address. The homeless don't have an address. Without local charities, they'd have no food, clothes, occasional shelter. They'd have nothing. Local charities are great
    Anonymous

• AMEN yourspecial!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Because charity begins at home. Contrary to some opinions people do like to help each other and many are extrememly generous in a lot of different ways. The world functioned for thousands of years with no welfare system. People depended upon themselves and each other for survival. IMO, local charity should be front and center of the help, not federal govt aid.

THIS... Brava!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2010