How can I tell if my 2 year old's watery eye and stuffy nose with cough are allergies?

I am suffering the exact same problems without the watery eyes but I have a history of allergic reactions. Should I assume that she is suffering the same? How do I even treat toddler allergies!?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• clear mucus is allergy mucus if it is green it is infection mucus. yellow/clear is normal. Ask tyour peidatrician to be sure it's allergies then you can go with Children's Zyrtec or Children's Claritin OTC.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Toddlers can be tested on their backs for specific allergies. Blood tests can show that it may be allergies. Some doctors or labs do a smear from the nose. It's an old test but if it's positive for allergies then your child probably has allergies. A neg may mean nothing.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Color of nose mucus does NOT matter. I have severe allergies and my mucus goes from clear to black. The only way to know for sure is to take her to a doctor and get her tested. A cold lasts about 10 days, allergies may cause sinus pain (pressure in the cheeks, nose, forehead, ears).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Clear is allergies, Yellow is infection, green is a cold. You can give her children's benedryl. There are allergy eye drops.

If you are not comfortable giving her meds, use a saline nasal spray to cleanse her nasal cavaties and a saline eye wash to rinse out her eyes.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2010