teacher assistant

This is only for people that are assistant teachers in daycare/preschool who work with children under 4yrs, did all of yous have to go to college?
i want to be an assistant teacher for a daycare but i only graduated high school.i dont mind to take any certificate classes.how did u go about becoming a assistant teacher?
Thank u

parkslope

Asked by parkslope at 7:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 1 (-2 Credits)
  • I have a bachelors in education and NO you do not need certification. Only a high school diploma.
    Anonymous

• Thank u Anonymous for the info
    parkslope

Answer by parkslope at 8:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It depends on your state and/or the company you work for. I know that in Georgia, Bright from the Start, is strongly encouraging daycaresand preschools to only hire people who have their CDA or Associates Degree or are willing to get it once hired. Right now, the state is even offering an incentive to get your CDA. They will pay for the $1200 tuition, the $300 fee for your CDA application, and $400 once you get your CDA. For the most part, all you need is a H.S. diploma and a little experience with children. However, in my area, we have a lot of elementary teacher graduates but no elementary teaching jobs, so a lot of the positions in daycares/preschools are going to them.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• There isnt a daycare near me that hires without proper credentials...You have to be CPR certified and have credentials I and II....I dont know what those are though! lol...sorry!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• In my state day cares will rarely hire someone without a little bit of college. HOWEVER, they are allowed to. Many will put their employees through a CDA program too.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• In IL you must have a certificate or 30 hours of education credits. Plus cpr. Or you can do your associates and be a preschool teacher.
    rosadnr

Answer by rosadnr at 10:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• That's not true for being an assistant teacher in an IL daycare. I started working at a daycare fresh out of HS, having only 6 college credits. To be a LEAD teacher I would have needed the 30.

Anonymous

• thank you ladies for the info
    parkslope

Answer by parkslope at 12:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2010