How did you find out your child was lactose intolerance?

I'm starting to think maybe my child is. She seems to have the runs all the times, and like today she had a lot more milk then normal and it seemed to be a lot worse. I'm going to call and try to make an appointment with her doctor tomorrow, but I was just wondering how others found out, and how the doctors know if someone is?

D.Tetz

Asked by D.Tetz at 8:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Health

• Stop giving your child milk and see if she gets better. Some people with lactose intollerance can have yogurt or cheese but some can't have any at all.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• We found out my nephew was when he had non stop diarrhea and would vomit for no apperent reason daily. Especially after a milk product. He never could tolerate formula well either. He had to be put on Soy
    Anonymous

• I found out when my dd was 1 month old. she was on milk based formula and couldnt keep any of it down and had a horrible cough and was extremely cranky. we put her on soy and she's been great since. if i give her dairy product she will get a tummy ache and get really fussy. gl
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I found out when she started eating solids. She would get diarrhea with milk and ice cream. She can tolerate some cheeses but not all. Generally the harder the cheese the less lactose. I have a severe case, I can not have anything with lactose, whey, or casine.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2010