Did people not bring you gifts for the baby in the hospital???

People always talk about needing a shower for 2nd, 3rd, etc baby because it might be a different gender. For those of you that did/didn't have a shower - did people not bring you gifts to the hospital after you had your baby? I had a shower for my children, and still when people visited after the birth of the baby most of them brought a little something - an outfit, a toy, etc. For those of you who WANT a 2nd, 3rd, etc shower, is it because you think people won't bring you gifts to the hospital/your house when they visit to meet the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I never recieved gifts in the hospital. I didn't know that's what your supposed to do....because it makes for all that much more of a hassle for transporting clothing and toys home with you after the hospital stay??? lol
    Anonymous

• people usually have showers to yes recieve gifts but to share a special time with family and friends. plus a lot of baby gear wouldnt really be easy to transport from the hospital
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i never had a shower. we got gifts after the baby was born and a lot in the hospital.

eva123

Answer by eva123 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i never got a gift in the hospital. and yes this is my second baby and i plan on having a shower.
    Anonymous

• I never received anything while in the hospital... except for after the birth of my second son, my class made me some cards and the sub brought them by. :-) Other than that- nada.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I had an AWESOME shower. And I received gifts after the baby, but when they came to my house. I didn't have anyone visit me in the hospital as I was just so tired and I wanted to be home and comfortable when people came to visit.

This is my second baby and I am NOT having a shower. I told everyone not to give me one. We have EVERYTHING we could possibly need. I have a little boy and if it's a girl, I will have an excuse to go shopping!
    Anonymous

• I had three children. No one brought me gifts. No one gave me a baby shower.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Why do you expect gifts?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• OP - I'm just trying to understand the mindset of people that expect showers for multiple children. I'm assuming it's for gifts, because otherwise I don't understand why you wouldn't just invite people over for a bbq or dessert if all you want to do is visit. And I would never visit anyone after them having a baby without bringing a gift. Maybe it's because I live in the South and was raised by a very Southern woman who was all about being polite and following social protocol? I've just never heard of people not getting gifts after a baby regardless of them having a shower or not and I'm trying to understand.
    Anonymous

• I never had, nor expected a shower, I also didn't expect gifts at all. It's our baby and we expected to provide everything for it. A shower to celebrate the pending arrival is great, but not to get gifts -that's not cool! If I was having a shower for additional kids I would ask anyone who wanted to provide a gift to provide a frozen meal - that would have been far far more helpful than 150 tiny baby booties LOL
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2010