If you do in-home day care for others, who keeps your/their kids when YOU have an appt?

I want to do in-home day-care (maybe) for a friend. However, I have been down this road before, and one of the struggles that I had in the past is getting someone to watch my son AND what to do with the other child/ren when I need to go to the OB/GYN, get my hair cut, teeth cleaned, or whatever. At the time, both the children were infants, and now there would be my 3 y/o & a 2 y/o neighbor boy. It's hard to get anyone to watch my own child, but if I commit to 7:30-5:00 M-F, it really affects my ability to get some things done. What do you do?

doodlebopfan

Asked by doodlebopfan at 8:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can either give an advance notice to the parents that you will not be available on this day or that day or you can hire a substitute that you know and trust very well.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I did in home care on an airforce base so I knew other in home daycare providers so if I had an appointment I would call one of the other licensed providers to see if they had an opening for the day. If so I would give my parents the persons number so they could either take their kid there or make other arrangements. I always gave like a weeks notice. So get a list of providers near you.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I make my appointments in as far in advanced as possible and for as late in the day. I let the parents know as soon as I know and it is up to them to find alternative care for thier children. As far as getting hair done and stuff like that...save it for the weekends when you don't have them.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I would make all my appointments in advance and all in one day. Obviously, as pp said, just the ones that have to be done during work hours on a weekday.. the hair will have to wait. That's what most people who work do. You can give advance notice and they can find a back-up. Everyone with kids in daycare needs a back-up. Always. It's not too much to ask.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• OK, the hair appt which is every couple of months, I did realize that I could do on Saturday & have DH stay home with him. Normally, I do it during the week and either my sister or step-mom watch our son, but it's a little much to ask either of them to watch the neighbor boy.

Also, whenever I do watch another kiddo, I'm guilty of taking them out to the jumping place or Chuck E Cheese or the park, etc. to get us all out of the house, but then I end up using the money I make on the fun stuff. Also, when I watched our nephew, it was when he was an infant, so she (my niece) provided his formula & baby food. We'd have to include meals & snacks for the little guy.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I would look into free activities. Any town big enough to have a Chuck E Cheese also has a library and a park. If you are providing the meals, you can charge slightly more -- but realistically, we're only talking about a few more dollars a day. I would not ask someone else to watch a child placed in my care... not out of fear of imposing on that person, but because you would need the parents' permission. It sounds like this is a small friendly deal within the family, though, so you can do what you all feel comfortable with. But I find it helpful when there is a monetary transaction involved to treat it as a contractual obligation and be business-like and responsible about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I don't do daycare but my son goes to a inhome daycare... and what she does is trys to have us pick him up at a certain time... like 4:00 rather than 5:00 or something or she takes a day off. Of coarse she always lets us know WELL in advance so that we can make other arrangments.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:28 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• When I used an in-home daycare she always gave me notice of at least a week and reminded me a day or two before she was going to be unavailable; the only exception was when she was sick and obviously couldn't have known in advance. I think most parents understand they need a back up sitter when using an in-home provider. I think I would talk to your friend to see if she does already have a backup sitter in place, and if she doesn't maybe you can come up with a solution together.

When I have to work Saturdays and our daycare is closed I sometimes give my sitter extra money to take the kids to to fun places. I bet your friend would pay you a little extra for "field trips" from time to time, though I would try to limit the ones that cost to once a month or once every couple of weeks.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:27 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I am currently in your situation. You do the pay by the hour, so you get paid when you have the child. Then let the mom know she needs a back-up plan for when you have something planned. I usually take my own kids with me everywhere. But i refuse to drag my neighbors kids, she actually asked me to take her two babys in diapers plus my 4 kids to my prenatal apt. I looked at her crazy and told her to get a back up sitter.
    sweet_bumblbee

Answer by sweet_bumblbee at 1:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2010