If my baby isn't pooping what can i do to help him poop?

Asked by jrios114 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you give more info? Age? how long since your baby has gone?

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• prune juice

Answer by lowencope at 8:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• You can sit them in a warm bath and rub their tummy counter clock wise.
    Try a sip or 2 of juice.
    Maybe a bite or 2 of prunes.
    I know your not supposed to give lil kid honey but I just dropped one or 2 drops in my childs bottle and it fixed the problem.

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Breastfed babies may start going a few days between poops because breastmilk is so well digested. As long as the baby is growing then it isn't a problem. When the baby poops it may be a large amount.

Never give your baby honey. It can kill a formula fed baby and make a breastfed baby very ill. Better to have a baby thats not pooping than to have a dead baby.

Answer by Gailll at 8:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• gerber prune juice or gerber prunes if theyre on solids

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Just buy some gerber prune juice, or call a pediatric doctor.

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It is normal for a breastfed baby to go more than a week without a bowel movement.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Massage his belly in small circles .. from up to down and from left to right.
    Bicycle his legs forwards and then backwards
    If you alternate between these two motions, it will helps things loosen up and start moving along.

If he is EXTREMELY constipated, you might need to see a doctor, depending on his age. Also, talk to a pharmacist because they make baby laxative suppostiories and I dont think you need a prescription.

Answer by christyg at 9:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• When my daughter was 3 1/2 months old her dr had me give her diluted Gerber pear juice... This helped.... prunes and prune juice, or apple juice can help... It really depends on age as to what you can do to help...

Answer by momma_marian at 9:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• The absolute best tried and true method without giving a child who isn't used to or ready for juice, would be to use a a rectal thermometer. It would be best to use a tad vaseline first. It should get the job done, in no time (meaning keep the diaper under baby's butt).

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010