How can I help my 7 month son sit fully by himself? When should I be concerned?

hmf122

Asked by hmf122 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried a bumbo seat? They are supposed to help with that and posture. But I wouldn't worry. My son didn't sit by himself or crawl til about 9 months and them once he learned he was walking within just a couple weeks. Every baby is different.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• prop him up with pillows. sit him by himself and put pills all around him so that if he falls he lands on the pillow. hes only gonna learn by practice. i think my son got it fully by 8 months or so
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• my dd was 8 1/2 months before she started sitting by herself.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• don't worry about sitting up by a certain point. you don't really want to force something like that. he will sit up when his muscles are strong enough to hold him up. if you sit them up before that point you could actually be putting undue stress on his spine. all kids reach these milestones at different times. (in 5 years you may not even remember if it was at 6 months or 9 months when he first sat up on his own :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• You could make it a little game to pull him up to a sitting position - start with him lying on your lap, have him grab your fingers (or you grab his hand) and pull him up while talking, singing or making silly noises to keep him entertained. Let him balance for as long as he can, and then help him plop back down (again, making it a "fun" part of the game). When he gets the hang of sitting a little, I would sit him down between your legs, put an interesting toy in front of him, and help him balance while he plays.

The boppy pillow was great too - it helped provide a soft frame for him to wobble within (of course you still need to be there for the big falls).
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2010