too much pressure on our kids?

I have only watched the trailer for the movie "Road to No Where"... here is a you tube link to the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl3aJYY4aKU&feature=player_embedded

What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Anonymous

• Not for my kid, I'm homeschooling her. But I don't understand why for all the homework these kids have it doesn't translate into actual learning? When she was in public school she had an hour homework each night grades 4K-1st. And I am sure there is much more in the older grades. Yet in my district less than 40% graduate and most have a 3rd grade reading level. Why? And I think kids are pressured by parents to do too many activities. One school district near us wants to make it mandatory for graduation that you have to be in an extracurricular activity. That is insane!

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I feel school systems are way too statistics based. In other words they think that all kids learn one way and they don't consider the possibility that maybe some kids learn differently and those kids struggle day to day in school and then the school lables them with learning disabilities.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Holy heck BlooBird... where do you live??!! I dont know that I have ever heard of a 40% graduation rate.

At my daughters public high school they have a 98% graduation rate with 75% going straight into a 4 yr college. I think I would move or home school to if I lived where you live.

Anonymous