feeding the dead?

i am not very religious, but i do believe in god...i know very little about other beliefs...so who feeds the dead and why? i had customers come into my job last night and wanted extra plates to feed the mom/wife who was deceased, but joining them for dinner. they had joked around alot before asking me this, so i ended up being very confused. i apologized for my lack of knowledge, but i think i pissed them off. can anyone explain this ritual to me, please?

brodysmama23

Asked by brodysmama23 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• my grandma leaves a glass of water on the night stand for my uncle who died at 22. in a dream he told her he was very thirsty. on dia de los muertos (mexican holiday) we leave food at the cemetary
    nmgirl87

Answer by nmgirl87 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I've heard of leaving food and drink at their grave or barying it with them. I can't remember who all does it though a few different ones do.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• when my husband's grandfather died we heard burying things was a family tradition.

present particilple
    Anonymous

• Some families hold birthday or anniversary dinners in memory of the diseased. Like on mom's birthday it was always traditional for the entire family to come around and have a big stake dinner... So even when mom is gone it's still a tradition. Why not have a yearly dinner to celebrate that day, and that woman... In many cases this includes having a plate setting for mom - in her honor... It could have simply been something like that.

There are also traditions like the "Day of the Dead" where the dead are honored with food and other offerings. And there are even small cultures which actually dig up the diseased on the date of their death each year and dress them up and have dinner with them... Although in the US this is very illegal, so chances are that's not what is going on here...

Chances are it was an honor thing more than anything...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• feeding the dead??? thats a new one for me! How do the dead eat?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• The ones that come to mind right away are Day of the Dead as already stated, china has the hungry ghost festival in which water and food are placed on an alter for their deceased loved ones, The egyptians left food and decorated tombs to reflect what a person enjoyed in life so they could have those things in the afterlife. Many of these same practices or similar practices are done in vietnam, India, Ireland and a few others. In Europe during Samhain it was a custom to set a place at the table for deceased loved ones, this practies continues for many pagans.

Also it isnt a matter of the dead eating it is a tribute to the dead, honoring them, letting them know they are still in our hearts, very similar to leaving flowers at the graveside.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:21 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I don't think they are really feeding them, its a nice way for them to remember them. People want to send time remembering those we miss, like Three Ring Circus said, it's no different then leaving flowers, or having a graveside picnic with the rest of the family. Its a way of mourning and remembering.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:18 AM on Apr. 23, 2010