I know my daughter is being lazy when she has an accident!!

My daughter knows how to use the potty. She knows when she needs to go. Today, twice, she told me she needed to go but then wouldn't go and then had an accident. I ran some cool water in the tub to wash her off both times because I knew she would hate that... and she did. Am I wrong for doing something slightly punishing with regard to potty training? She has had weeks with no accidents and now it's like she's bored with using the potty or something... I think it's ridiculous when people go ahead and throw a diaper on a kid who is regressing, but I'm not sure how to handle the accidents.... Ideas, suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would not punish her...have there been any changes in your life recently? That can affect kids this way
    Anonymous

• if she was fully trained then just put her in underwear & if she has an accident have her take off her icky clothes clean her up then have her dress herself.. I personally don't punish for accidents.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Nothing at all I can think of. She has been ups and downs... a couple of good weeks, a couple of bad, from the beginning... But the good weeks to me show that she knows how to do it!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't punish it can make them regress even more
    Anonymous

• NEVER punish for accidents. That's just what they are.
    Anonymous

•  i punish for laziness, not accidents. if my 4 yr old is too interested in a video game to get up and go to the bathroom, he gets punished. if we're in the car and there's no where to stop, that is an accident. would you punish a kid for not doing their homework on time, if they didn't have a valid reason? yes . . . so why wouldn't you punish for not going to the bathroom on time, when you know they're more than capable?

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• when i was having trouble potty training my daughter i asked my cousin what she did to potty train her son and she said that she put undies on him and when he peed in them she would have him wash them out and eventually he just started using the potty because he didnt like having to wash them. now i didnt do that because i just dont think thats right. my daughter regressed a few times in the process of potty training and one day she just started going potty all by herself (and washing her hands when she was done :)) if shes not ready shes not ready. my son is 2 1/2 and he deff. isnt ready to potty trained. he hates the site of a training potty or pull up. every couple of days all day i will ask him if he wants to go on the potty and he says no.. he knows all about going on the potty from seeing his big sister do it so when hes ready to go he will go or tell me he has to go. we just gotta give them time.
    Anonymous

• Eh, it happens. Give her a few days and she should be back on track. My little boy seems to have accidents when he is overly tired. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• OP here -- I wouldn't do this each time she had an accident -- but I did it the times when she actually TOLD me she had to use the potty, so I said, "Okay, let's go" and she wouldn't. Nothing very accidental about that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2010