Has anyone had an endometrial ablation? Are you glad you did? Did it work for you?

I have to have an endometrial ablation and was just trying to get some imput from some fellow moms who have had one. I've done my research, but haven't actually talked to anyone that actually had one.

Shelley83

Asked by Shelley83 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Health

• Yes, I had one done in October. I had a HTA ablation with a D&C. It was so much easier than I expected and I'm very glad I had it done. What would you like to know? What type are you planning to get done?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I mainly was wondering if after you had it done if you continued to have periods or if they stopped completely Also, were you okay the next day to be slightly mobile? Thanks for answering :-)
    Shelley83

Answer by Shelley83 at 8:20 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• When I was waking up, I remember somebody by my bed giving me a shot in my upper thigh. When that wore off, I was in a lot of pain because the pharmacy didn't have my pain pills ready yet. I was cramping a lot for about 45 minutes until I got my pain killers and they kicked in, mid-afternoon. The next day, I honestly felt fantastic. I took some ibuprofen and I think only one Lortab the next day, and I'm not even sure if I needed it. I was expecting more pain, but I didn't have any to speak of after that first day. My midsection felt a little achy, but I've had periods that were more painful than that.

I haven't had a period since. For the first couple of months, I spotted a bit a couple of days a month, like a couple of spots on a pantyliner and nothing more. For the last two months, I haven't even had that. Every now and again, I have a bit of light pink discharge when I wipe after I pee. Cont...
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:25 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• It's not even enough to wear a pantyliner. It's been wonderful.

There are several ways to do an ablation, and my doctor switched from Novasure (the heated mesh triangle) to HTA (hydrothermal ablation) because the Novasure mesh will only destroy the tissue where the triangle touches, leaving bits of healthy tissue. HTA is actually boiling water that reaches every bit of the uterus, so the outcome is more often like mine, with no periods at all.

I was really scared to have it done because general anesthesia scares me a lot, but it was a hundred times easier than I expected, and the outcome was even better than I had hoped.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:30 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Thank you so much! This really helped put my mind at ease. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain so hopefully I will have the same outcome as you did. I believe he will be doing the HTA. We talked about both, but I believe we decided on this. Thank you again :-)
    Shelley83

Answer by Shelley83 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Good luck. I hope yours is as easy as mine was.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:57 AM on Apr. 23, 2010