Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if a mother gives her child up for adoption & then regrets it...

is there ANYWAY for her to get the baby back? say if it was recent, like within the first 3 months of the babys life or so... jw


Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Adoption

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • that depends on a lot of different things. but generally, yes. you can get your baby back. call a family lawyer asap. don't listen to all the people who are going to tell you what a terrible thing you're doing bla bla bla... if you want your baby you should have him! i could never understand why a woman would make a major desision like that while pregnant and under the influance of hormones. get your baby or you'll never forgive yourself. he belongs with you!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • if you signed the baby over...I'm pretty sure it's permanent. when they are 18 the person that gave the baby up can petition the system to find the baby.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • I agree w/Anon 836
    If you want your baby back,then go and get a lawyer and fight to get him back. I will tell you,if you feel like you want him back~do it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • Also U Have 6 Mths After Giving Ur Child Up 2 Change Ur Mind. The Adoptions Not Final Tell 6 Mths In Most Cases.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • Every state law is different. There is not blanket law. Some states, there is no going back upon signing the papers, others allow a few days, up to maybe a few months.

    Check into your state laws.

    Answer by randi1978 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • In my state once a parent signs there is no legal recourse. None. That's it. Final. People have tried. ALL Have failed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • You need to check into your state laws, like Randi1978 said. In some states, there is a period of time after you sign that you can change your mind for any reason. After that time period is up, you have to prove fraud or coercion. Once TPR has happened (termination of your rights officially in the courts), there is no recourse.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • Think about the family who is currently raising the child as their own. How hurt they will be if you suddenly want to take the child back. Don't be cruel.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • My children are adopted and in Indiana you can sign TPR 24 hours after birth if there was nothing traumatic and no c-section. Trauma or c-section require 48 hours. Both my kids had TPR signed at 48 hours. After those papers are signed you are done. You cannot come and get the baby back unless you can prove 1 of 3 things:

    1) the childs parents paid you or forced you in some way to sign TPR
    2) you were under the influence of narcotics, pain meds etc
    3) the childs parents are unfit and abusing the child in some way

    If you want to consult an attorney do so. My friend tried to get her twins back claiming she was coerced and she wasn't. She lost. I was only 18 but I went up in defense of the twins parents because I KNEW my friend was full of crap. I was there the entire time. She never got a dime and was never forced to do anything by anyone. She chose adoption from day 1.

    Answer by beautyqueen616 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • Here is an excellent source that will allow you to find the answer for your state.

    Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 8:29 AM on Apr. 23, 2010