How important is it to you?

To raise your kid/s to be humble? Do you lead by example if you try to teach giving? Are you more likely to come across a homeless person and give some of the last of your money or shine them on? Is it important for your kid/s not to be materialistic or do you tend to give them whatever they want? I am just curious, I cannot stand the way mainstream society makes you or your kid/s think they need everything they see.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with you totally. I try very hard to help my kids to realize how lucky we are in our family. We do give to needy charities and families locally and I try hard to teach about different people and situations and how other people have a hard time.

I also try to teach them how hard we work for what we do have and how they need to take care of these things and be thankful!
    Anonymous

• no, i do not give homeless people money because i have my own family to take care of, and they should get a job and make there money like how i do - most homeless people are drug atticts and alcoholics anyway. i will teach my children to give, and to appreciate things but not the way some people might - for me growing up, by 12 my mom had a really good job and was making alot of money, since then ive basically been given whatever i wanted. ive had 4 cars, ive had 4 apartments, my mom moved me from ny to FL just because i wanted to move there, i got basically whatever i wanted - and i appreciate and am so thankful for it, and since i want to continue to live that way and i want to do the same for kids, thats why i already have one college degree and am not done yet and will continue to achieve more. which is what i will do with my kids. i like money, i like things, i like vacations. you only live once and i want me & my kids to
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• enjoy it as much as possible. so yes, my kids will have whatever they want.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Wow Purpul...didnt know people like you really existed. You must be a terribly spoiled rotten brat. Glad at least you seem to realize it.

You are terribly judgmental as well.
    Anonymous

• Oh come on now PURPULbutterfly, life is not all about money and things. I am so sorry you feel this way. And also, my husband works for the board of education in our county and he also works with "homeless" students. Let me tell you right now, you have no idea what you are talking about. Most of those families are in desperate need and a lot of them are trying the best they know how. (not all of them, but a lot of them) How dare you label them all as good for nothings. I feel more sorry for you than I do them, at least they are grateful when my husband helps them out.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I have a nephew that gets a toy or a treat EVERY time he goes to the store. My daughter does not get anything when she goes to the store....but we do surprise her with treats every now and then...and they aren't like big toys, they're more like bubbles or a mini bag of her favorite cookies.... We don't indulge and we don't give her everything. Her and her baby brothers share ALL the toys in the house....
    I want my children to feel special, but I also want them to make others feel special.
    Anonymous

• My kids do have material things. NEVER given just because. ALWAYS earned one way or another. And although from the outside looking in it may seem they have EVERYTHING, they are constantly asking CAN I HAVE, CAN I HAVE!!?? Of course we want our kids to have things they want. But at the same time we try to maintain a balance. The boys have gone with me to volunteer at shelters. They've gone through thier toys and donated some of thier unbroken toys to other kids. I have never had someone say my kids arent humble. Or that they are little brats. IMO, maintaining a balance works. At least for my boys. Respectfully, how someone raises thier kids is thier own business. What i'm doing works for me.

***Also, by them having certian material things it makes it easier for us to discipline. Especially with our older boys. When we take thier stuff away. We get results LOL
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It is very important to me that my daughter learn what it means to be giving. She is not quite 2 years old yet, but it's never too early to learn.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• "most homeless people are drug atticts and alcoholics anyway"

***********************

No, they are not. I used to work at a homeless shelter, and those men, women and children are just like you and me, only they don't have a place to call their own.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Wow PURPUL...I've never met anyone as selfish as you. NEVER!
    Anonymous