Is it true that I cant color my hair, cause it could harm the Baby?

ScandanavianMom

Asked by ScandanavianMom at 9:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• i wanted to dye my hair when i was pregnant, i read up on it online, and everything said there was no tests to prove either way and that usually women just decide on there own wether they should or not. so i did, and then i told my DR. she said she recommended i didnt color my hair anymore while i was pregnant. but my son is fine so ..
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• if your pregnant yes!
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• idk i heard this too :( i didnt do it because my hair was growing so fast it wouldnt even have been worth it.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 9:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I asked my doctor when I was pregnant and she said it was fine as long as you aren't in a stuffy room with all the fumes. I got my hair dyed twice when I was pregnant and my son is fine! I think they say to try and stay away from the hardcore dyes where they have to use tons of chemicals.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• ALSO---it is every harmful for your baby. some do it an are lucky their kids come out fine. but some arent soo lucky!!! dont chance it. wait 9 months will go by FAST
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i heard not until the second trimester, after that the babys organs are all formed and there is less of a chance of it causing a miscarriage.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I've heard this too, but what exactly does it do to the baby?
    Anonymous

• I know a lady who owns a salon.She worked all of her pregnancy.Children are fine.Ages 21 to the one in her belly now(4 children maybe 5).I also once had a job interview at a salon and the woman was pregnant.
    But many people say it causes birth defects for some...I dunno..I didnt dye my hair because of the smell with my 1st.With my second I DID NOT EAT it but I loved the smell of bleach and hair dye and nail salons :/ i had weird cravings for it lol.BUT didnt eat it :P
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• coloring your hair when your pregnant is fine. there are absolutly no tests that show it harms the baby, the only thing is the fumes and chemicals, although your hair will probably grow so rapidly it isn't worth even trying until post partum. but if you want to color your hair, highlights are better because there is less contact with your scalp, also temop dyes have less harsh chemicals, but if you go permanet try a natural dye, or even try to find an organic and do it in a large room with a lot of ventalation.
    jojosmama1228

Answer by jojosmama1228 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I talked with all 3 of my docs about this. The general rule was that as long as I was in my 2nd trimester and I had it done at a salon (and no hardcore bleaching) everything would be ok. I followed it with all 3 and I had no adverse side effects.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2010