parents of kids with add/adhd that are using meds HELP

First don't bother commenting if it is just to bash me for medicating.

My son was changed from Vyvance to Concerta becasue of the behaviors as he was coming off the meds. Things are much better at home, and are horrible at school.
UGH
Is there a balance?
Anyone else delt with this?
What did you do?
I'm so frustereated.

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• When you say,he was switched from Vyvance because of his behavios when he was coming off,do you mean in the evenings when it started to wear off? I think I know what you are talking about. ADHD sucks!
    I went through this w/my 10 yr old this past winter.We were suffering w/the weight loss and he outlandish behavior in the evenings. However,at school she had made it onto the honor roll. As a mom,I was at a loss. I had so desperately wanted her to reach her potential at school but I was scared seeing her dwindle away plus,that angry crazy behavior was too much. We tried the Concerta. She stated eating,gaining and grew while on it BUT she almost failed three subjects. It seemed like she was less hyper but no concentration. Well,we have since gone back to Vyvance and just till the end of the school year. I am sorry you are in the middle of this. It makes it so hard to feel like you CAN make a right decision.~ sending((hugs))
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 10:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Meg,message me if you want to;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 10:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Thanks!
    His behaviors in the evening were crazy, whiney, mean, aggressive ect. :(
    UGH
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• My son has ADD and is doing beautifully on Concerta. However, my step daughter has ADHD, with the hyperactivity being a huge factor for her, as it is not for my son. After many trial and error of medications, she's currently on adderall, which seems to be helping her more than any of the others. Remember, there are many medications to treat ADD/ADHD and finding the right medication dosage is usually trial and error. Even for my son on concerta, it was finding the right dosage to balance his symtoms.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 11:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• adderall makes him moody :(
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2010