Should I switch Doctors?

With my first pregnancy I had no complications, and carried my baby "well" I have a big frame, so it wasnt really hard on me at all. i ended up having a c-section because his cord was getting pinched as it came out first.
I'm pregnant again and my Dr wants to plan a c-section. he says the only way I can have a vaginal birth is to go to a university hospital, because they are better staffed. He also said that I have a 1 in 3 chance of my uterus rupturing if I go into labor naturally.

Someone please tell me this isnt true. I really want to give birth vaginally this time. After today's appt I feel very fizzled and just let down, I'm hoping someone on here can give me some good news.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The risk of uterine rupture is 0.7-1.5%, depending on where you get your stats. Far from the 33% risk your doctor is quoting. And the risk is lowest if you go into labor naturally as opposed to inducing. And keep in mind, too, that that 0.7-1.5% risk of rupture includes everything from asymptomatic ruptures that heal on their own to ones resulting in emergency hysterectomy or maternal or fetal death, both of which cases are very rare.

If you want a VBAC and your current doctor isn't supportive, then by all means switch and find a doctor or midwife who is. I switched doctors at 32 weeks for that reason, and ended up having a perfect, successful VBAC. :)

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• This doctor is full of crap. Your chance of rupture is less than 1%

http://www.ican-online.org/vbac/uterine-rupture-a-10-year-population-based-study-uterine-rupture

Visit ICAN and learn about VBAC. Find a doctor who specializes in VBAC care or a midwife who does.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• 1 in 3 chance of uterine rupture?!? He told you that? Please get a new doctor, fast! Here is what Mayo Clinic says on having a VBAC and the risk of uterine rupture if you have a low transverse incision, "0.2 percent to 1.5 percent — or less than two out of 100 women". Here's the link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vbac/vb99999/page=vb00007

There is a good group here too if you are interested in having a VBAC. It's called Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth. Link to that: http://www.cafemom.com/group/50251

Hope that helps and good luck getting your VBAC!

YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 10:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• My sister works in L&D and also states that its about a 1% chance youll rupture during your 1st VBAC. Every pregnancy after it goes up a bit- but not a 1/3 chance!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I just have to say...Look at Michelle Duggar. She's had a C-Section, and the went on to have how many VBAC'S with no uterine rupture? I bet yoru doc just wanted to scare you out of it. Afterall, if you switch Dr's, he'll loose all the insurance money from your prenatal care, plus from the C-Section...which pays a hell of a lot more than a Vaginal delivery. Most certainly switch Docs so you can have the delivery YOU want. It's much safer to have a VBAC than a repeat section.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2010