Does putting ranch on carrots, or cheese on broccoli ruin its healthiness?

My husband always gives me crap about putting cheese sauce on my broccoli, ranch on my carrots, or alfredo on cooked spinich. But isn't it a lot better than just eating a cupcake? He eats junk food.. should I give him crap for that cuz its not a raw carrot? lol, ok two questions in one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It doesn't take away the vitamins and nutritional value of the veggies themselves.

And you do actually need a small amount of fat in your diet (fat is like the skin for every single cell in your body)...so yeah, eliminating it entirely would be a bad idea.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It doesn't make the veggies themselves less healthy but it defeats the point of eating healthy and definitely makes the meal/snack higher in fat & calories....
    Anonymous

• Actually, I read recentlyl that adding a little fat to veggies (carrots with light ranch, broccoli with some cheese, peas with a little butter, etc.) can actually help your body absorb the nutrients better.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Yes indeed it turns your veggies into junk food. Sure you will still get the vitamins but you are also adding fat. Personally I think the only good vegetable is one soaked in butter! But God has a sense of humor and made me lactose intolerant!

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I'm underweight in my pregnancy, so.. i don't think a few calories will hurt..
    Anonymous

• As long as you aren't drenching your veggies in fat, it is OK. I would rather my kid eat cheese sauce and Ranch then not eating any veggies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• well if it gets you to eat the veggies why not? and who said cheese sauce was bad? it still has protein
    and just ask your husband to read the labels of his cupcakes and your carrots...which has more nutrients? also it isn't fat that is bad it is SATURATED FATS that are bad...cupcakes are just that...saturated fats
    Anonymous

• Does he put salad dressing on his salads? I use yogurt based Honey Mustard dressing and per serving it's 45 calories. I use 1 1/2 servings (3 TBSP for 6 cups of veggies). Look for Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Ranch Dressing (it has 70 calories per serving which is 2 TBSP as opposed to the 148 calories per 2 TBSP ffor Kraft Ranch dressing), it's a healthier choice. Moderation is always the key.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• It depends on what you are doing. I put peanut butter or cream cheese in celery to get my kids to eat it. I put a homemade cheese sauce on their vegetables so they eat it. My daughter loves to dip green peppers and carrots in Ranch. We use Lighthouse brand because it has less crap in it. They are underweight, picky eaters and if what I do gets them some extra protein and a vegetable, then so be it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:46 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I enjoy the veggies just as they are. Ranch is not a whole food, neither is cheese sauce (both chemical/processed "foods"). So I think yes, it defets the purpose. Just teach yourself and your kids to enjoy veggies for what they are.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 7:29 AM on Apr. 23, 2010