How would you handle walking in on your teenager having sex?

just curiosity.
are you a parent that would just be like "continue" and close the door?
a parent that would yell and scream?
or a parent that would just feel really awkward about it and not know what to do?
and would your reaction change depending on which kid it was? (like the older boy, the older girl, the younger boy, the younger girl etc)

im just asking bc my friend had a similar experience and what we both would do is veryy different!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• id probably tell them to get dressed and ask the other one to leave so i can talk to my daughter in private. we would be having a long talk after that and she would be in a world of trouble. and i would be calling up the other partys parents.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• In the first place.. I wouldn't allow people of the opposite sex in their room. But if they were like 17 and older... I'd probably just tell them that the boyfriend or girlfriend needed to go home and then remind my daughter or son that sex is not allowed in my house until after marriage. At least this is what I think I would do. I don't have a teenager that is 17, but I do have a 14 year old step daughter, and no way in hell would a boy be in her room.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 10:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I would kindly ask him how he wants his name spelled on the sex offender registry. Here even if they are both underage it's a crime. And she would end up under lock and key until adulthood.
    Anonymous

• i will bet the hell out of her and him.
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I would pick up their clothes and toss these clothes out on the lawn. I'd have a talk with my child about birth control, STDs, pregnancy, responsibility.

Answer by Bmat at 10:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• u forget that its not just allowing ur kids to have there bf/gf in there room, im 22 and it wasnt THAT long ago i was in high school, kids were having sex in the bathrooms, stairwells, closets and for the kids w/ cars they would leave campus or go ditching to have sex. u cant stop them. i used to lie to my mom have her drop me off at my girlfriends for a sleep over and sneak out the window in the middle of the night to hook up. there is so many ways to lie. but on the subject, when i was a teen i went to my bf's and his mom walked in on us, she didnt say anything, just acted like it never happened. i have 2 boys that arent even school age, but when they are older, if i caught them, id have a talk with them about std's and pregnancy and how hard it is being a teen parent. i wouldnt condone it under my roof, but like i said if they really want to theres a million ways. oh and i wouldnt let them finish having sex
    nmgirl87

Answer by nmgirl87 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Just because they could be doing it elsewhere doesn't mean you have to allow it. I realise that, which is why I am all for putting my daughter on birth control. But you better believe I wouldn't purposefully let her have any free time to explore her options.

Anonymous

• It wouldn't EVER have happened here because we NEVER allowed their girlfriends in their bedrooms AT ALL. Had, hypothetically, it happened I would have told them to get the hell up, told her to get the hell out and my son would have been grounded for the rest of their time in my home. I would have also informed her parents. It would have been about more than them having sex....it would been about respect as well. But like I said, it never happened. My 18 and 19yo sons are graduating next month and they aren't even allowed to have their girlfriends in their rooms now. Just because they are 18 and 19 doesn't mean that they can have sex in my home or even be alone with their girlfriends in their bedrooms. Their girlfriends are both 17 and their parents trust us to chaperone their daughters and to respect the boundaries that they have set for their daughters. We are all on the page.

tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I would shut the door and walk away. I would be waiting to talk to BOTH of them about protection, responsibility, respect, std's and pregnancy. That I expect condoms to be used, NO MATTER WHAT and that if a pregnancy occurs, they WILL raise the child and take responsibility.

I would NOT freak out, I would NOT call the cops or threaten with ruining either one of their lives by pressing charges.

My parents didn't allow boys in my room or in the house when they weren't home, but we still founds ways around that. Just because you tell a teen that they can't have opposite sex friends in their room, that they can't have sex, they will find ways around it. Better they know about protection, etc than hiding your head in the sand.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i agree with almost everything tyfry said.
    and to the people who say they wont allow there childs boyfriend or girlfriend in there room, thats really silly. honestly, i would rather my daughter or son having sex with his boyfriend or girlfriend in there bedroom at my house, then out in random place, or at there friends house or somewhere.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010