For moms that used the CIO method on older babies...

My 11 month old son gets up 3-4 times per night. I nurse him for 5 minutes and he falls back to sleep each time. I am considering letting him cry it out a bit for a few nights to see if it will work. I'm worried he will scream for a long time because he stands up in his crib now most of the time when he wakes up...I need advice...I understand how to do your routine and put him in the crib groggy but awake. I know he'll cry for a while and I should check on him every 5 mins or so but not pick him up...so do I just do this the same way when he wakes up in the night? Wait 5 mins, peek in on him, wait 5 more, peek again, until he falls asleep? Or should I lay him back down if he's standing up?? HELP! It's been almost a year since I've had a full night of sleep and I'm desperate! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well i tried that on my now 2 year old and i still cant keep him from jumping into my bed once im asleep. he has gotten good at it and knows to climb on his dad bc dad wont make him go back to his room. and when i wake in the morning there he is curled up under me! i let him cry it out almost every night at bedtime. usually they want to play up until they lay down and then i let them roll around for about 10 or 15 minutes to wind down then i tuck them in and read stories and he still cries and cries. i just keep putting him back, but i have found that if after the 3rd or 4th time if i pick him up and hug him and kiss him then when i lay him down he stays. but i have to let him cry for a few minutes or a hug wont work lol! so when he gets tired of crying see if it helps to hold him again and put him back down
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• By older babies, I thought you meant a 2 year old..

11 months is too early for CIO in my book.

You spent almost a year without a full night's rest.... well, he's going to spend a lifetime with you as his mom. Grow some patience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• WOW this is the last time I use this website! Everytime I ask a question I get some JERK talking to me like I'm the worst mother on the planet. You all need to get a life and find something to make you HAPPY so you can quit projecting your anger onto others. GOODBYE CAFEMOM. you suck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Maybe anger management classes?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Me simply telling you the truth, which is you just need to buck up and be patient, is not a reason to have a temper fit.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• "It's been almost a year since I've had a full night of sleep and I'm desperate! :)"

Heh heh heh...didn't you see the part of the Mommy Contract about your sleep? Eight hours is a thing of the past...it's always going to be something,. for the rest of your life. **grin**

Seriously...Check out the No Cry Sleep Solution....it'll reassure you.

YES, what you write is the way to try it. But don't be surprised if it gets you nowjhere. CIO fails as often as it works. Which is why there are so many sleep methods out there. NONE of them work for all babies.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2010