my daughter is 15months and trying to get her off the bottle what can i do?

she only drinks 2 a day she will drink juice out of a sippy cup but when it comes to drrinking milk out of a sippy cup she will not drink it i dont know what to do that will work

TrapsBaby

Asked by TrapsBaby at 11:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What worked best for us was just throwing the bottles away comletely, eventually she will drink out of a cup.
    Anonymous

• Have parents like mine that hound you until you do it, but gave you crap on your first kid when she came off the bottle at 8 months...
    Anonymous

• get her a different sippy cup so she see the pink one is for juice and the yellow one is for milk.<- example.
    Anonymous

• Try Munchkin brand grip sippys..The top is soft like a bottle but shaped differently and a little tougher so it is better for the teeth. It is the only sippy that my daughter will take. We switched her at 11 months.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 11:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I am planning on throwing my son's bottles away next week. He turns 1 on Sunday. With my oldest I threw away his bottles within a week of him turning 1.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• When my daughter turned one I packed up the bottles and got rid of them. She didn't have a choice but to drink from a cup. Eliminate the choice and take back control of the situation. When she gets thirsty enough, she will drink.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Honestly I think you are woking on this a little late (I know with some kids it drags on) so I am not saying that toward you at all. But merely saying that your DD is already to the point she KNOW she wants a bottle where as a younger child (not all the time all of them are different) may not be so fussy as to what they drink out of. I know we did away with bottles at 10 months and never looked back but hey he still has the binki and he is tuning two this week so trust me I know all to well that there is no tricks to taking items away from children who really know what they want. That said I don't see the crime in 2 bottles. If she is not sleeping with them that is GREAT as far a teeth decay goes. This is a really rough time for tots from what I have read because they are still wanting to be a baby but then they also what to be tots to and do things more on there own but still feel that pull to go back to the saftey and comfor
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 6:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• ***comfort that they know as a baby. So personaly from the info you have hear I don't think I would worry. Instead I may let it go and really give her specail attention for using a sippy cup and when she uses a bottle just act indifferent. Tots love praise so you'll get her in her own time to go your way with out all the tears and show downs. I have gotten my son to use his binkin only at night now using this method and I am proud to say it is working and he has not never shed a tear about it which makes it worth (at least to me) the little extra time it takes. Read up on anything you can about how to get tots to use a sippy cup. Oh, and I don't really think that trying another kid of cup will work...it I would think at this point has a lot more to do with her wanting the bottle than what type of cup it is. And also try to give her a little extra comfort with the cup maybe she can sit on your lap while she drinks it :)

G.L
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 6:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2010