what are moms opinions.....

of spanking your kids?
if you agree with spanking; what do you think is an ok age to start spanking?
and why do you think its ok/not ok to spank?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it is bad to spank because it is not actually teaching the child a lesson, ya maybe they won't do whatever it is you are punishing them for but will they really understand why they shouldn't do it? I also think they will have tendencies to hit throughout their life. And if you do spank...who's to say what goes too far? I prefer to raise my child to not be afraid of me and to trust me..and TRUST ME they will only be afraid of you if you hit them .
    I watched a Tyra show about spanking and the moms who said they spanked all started their stories of spanking off with "My child went to jail..." or "My child was wearing an innappropriate outfit.." or "My child was in trouble at school.." It was so funny that they thought hitting them for wearing an innappropriate outfit would teach them to not dress slutty. And the fact that they obviously should have known not to wear that outfit means they are not learning from spanking.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Iused to be 100% against spanking. Now i spank on occassion but I have rules about it. I will only spank out of direct disobedience. My child has to undertand why he(she) is being spanked and I will never do it out of anger, but only to correct the problem. We also will talk about it after and we will not leave the room until his/her behavoir has changed. Also, yelling is never involved, and neither is any object, Ispank with my hand only. Of course I'm not perfect. sometimes I get frustrated and yell, but never will I yell and then spank. I DO NOT want spanking to be associated with anger, EVER!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I do not believe in spanking, it is using one bad habit to break another. Do we really want to teach our kids that hitting is the way to solve problems? What happens when they go to school and a kid steals their cookie and they slap them? If you spank your child for taking without asking, you obviously can't blame them. (Just an example)

What I hate the most is when parent's spank their child when the child hits someone. Really? Your going to teach your child not to hit by hitting them? Where is the logical thinking there?

Wow you got me venting! lol
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I believe in spanking mostly as a last resort.

I think it depends on the child and their level of understanding why they are getting a swat on the bum. 18mths and older sounds like the most common ages Ive heard when this topic is brought up.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• We do spank fbut it is so rare that we actually do it that I cant even remember the last time it happened. For us it is a last resort, no other form of punishment has worked type of thing. As for when we started hmmm well honestly I dont know, when my toddlers would try to touch something that could hurt them and telling them no didnt work i would tap their hand not smack them but a tap and a firm NO, when my son tried to break free of me and run into the street for the 2nd time, i spanked him and he was 3 and i have no regrets because he NEVER tried to do it again.

I do not believe a child who is spanked will go and smack other kids because of the spanking. I was spanked on a regular basis as a child and NEVER tried to hit anyone, nor did any of my 5 siblings. Saying that spanking leads to children hitting is a cop out, a excuse for not being a firm parent when the need arises. Thats just my Opinion though.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:43 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• i am 100% against spanking. my sister in law spanked my newphew for the 1st time when he was 8 months old because he wouldnt stay still while she was changing his diaper. for that moment on i knew that i would never spank and children and i never have. i dont want my children to fear me. when i tell them to clean up their toy room i dont want them to think "oh no, i better do it or mommy is going to hurt me" i want them to think "mommy told me to do something so i should probably do it." i dont understand why people spank their children... parents who spank probably seeing it as "i am going teach them a lesson" when in reality its "if they dont do what i say i am going to HURT them" isnt it our jobs as moms to keep them safe from harm? not inflict harm on them?

think about that the next you want to spank your children (those of you who do)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think it's a very personal choice. I have done it, but very rarely and felt terrible afterwards. Honestly, I think there are better ways do discipline children but as an imperfect parent, I have been so angry before that I have done it myself so I am not one to judge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Apr. 23, 2010