What are some signs that a toddler is ready to be pottied trained?

I have a 16 month old boy and I was just wondering

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd is 15 months and I just got the potty out today. She may not be "ready" but I am just introducing her to it now and getting her liking sitting on her potty. I wanted to start once she became a good walker. She gets really happy when we give her praise for doing things so I'm hoping with just sitting her on there every once in a while (and when she makes her poop face) we will get something in the potty and then we can be proud of her and she will want to do it all the time. who knows though?
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:46 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Typically boys start potty training later than girls, but the "normal" age is 2-3 yrs. I would say, if you purchased a potty chair and your toddler shows interest in it than give it a try. I know someone that trained their daughter at 18 months just because she was ready.

Also, one piece of advice, and of course this is only my opinion. Please do not use pull-ups when you do start. Either do it all the way or don't do it at all. People I know who use pull-ups (even at night) end up taking way longer to train their kids and I think it's confusing to children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• when they start walking and vocalizing they are ready
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Boys will start later then girls. Don't push it to soon or there will be more accidents then if you waited for him to be ready. however being the mom of 4 I would have to say the number 1 sign is when they tell you they pee'd or pooped in their diaper. As soon as they realize what their bodily functions are then they are ready to try to go with out diapers. They can't tell you they have to go "pee" or "poopy" unless they know what they are doing first
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I don't have boys.. but I knew with my girls because they started showing interest in sitting on the potty. They also stopped wanting their diaper on, or started putting their sisters panties on, lol.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 1:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My daughter is almost 17 months old. I started "introducing" her to the potty earlier this month, but I plan to actually start her on a training schedule in the next week or so. We decided it was time to start all this when, at 15 months, she began whipping off her diaper when it was wet. In my opinion, when your child recognizes that the diaper is supposed to come off when it is soiled, that is your first sign that they are about ready for potty training.
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 7:20 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Here is a list of signs that I have been holding on to:
    # Desire to please (likes to give gifts, enjoys praise)
    # Desire for independence (takes pride in new abilities, wants to “do it myself”)
    # Imitates adults and older children
    # Language skills: able to communicate needs, and understands words about the toileting process
    # Motor skills: able to walk to the potty, get on and pull down pants
    # Bowel movements occur on a fairly predictable schedule
    # Has longer periods with a dry diaper, which means your child's bladder is able to store urine. (Your child wakes up from a nap dry, or stays dry for 2 or more hours)
    # Is able to follow simple, one-step verbal instructions
    # Shows an interest in imitating other family members or friends in the bathroom
    # Through words, facial expressions or a change in activity, y, your child shows you they know when their bladder is full or when they are about to have a bowel movem
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Well my son insisted his dad take him to the toilet in the mornings and during the day says "ber" when he wants to go and we take him. He is not completely there as sometimes he chooses not to even acknowledge he needs the toilet (too busy playing) but the fact he has led the way has made things a lot easier.

I tried getting him used to potty at your son's age but he had no interest so left it and am really happy he is choosing to potty train himself now (he is 2 and 5 months)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2010