Wanting to quit breast feeding

DS is 6 months, I had been thinking of putting him on formula while I was at work since I started back (January). It's been 3 months and it has become a huge pain in the butt to pump at work and then make sure that it doesn't spoil in the fridge or before I even get home.

I'm not sure why but I've been having feelings of just wanting to quit breast feeding all together. DS is getting more active and more into wanting to look around than eat that it's become frustrating just to feed him. We WILL be starting him on formula in these next few weeks slowly getting him used to the taste and feel of it by mixing it with the breast milk I have stored in the freezer. I just feel guilty for wanting to quit all together, like I'm a bad mom.

It also doesn't help that he has a milk sensitivity so I can't drink or eat dairy which has caused my milk sensitivity to come back as well. I just feel so weighed down with breast feeding now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like you are just frustrated with what its going to require of you to give him BM while going back to work. I have not been in your shoes so I don't know what that is like, but I do know from other moms who have stuck with breastfeeding while working full time is that when they get home and their little one wants to snuggle up and nurse its a wonderful way they can reconnect and bond with their baby. I think its worth the effort to try and bf while you are working jsut for the fact that bfing offers a bonding experience that nothing else can replace for mom and baby.
    you may want to look up how long you can stroe milk in certain environments, I think you'll be surpised at how long bm will last you... at room tem,p 4-6 hours, in a cooler 24 hours, in the refridgerater 5-7 days and in the freezer I think it was 4 months and in the deep freezer is was almost a year or so!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:24 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• btw adding formula will worsen his milk sensitivity, because it is dairy based.
    Precious333

• How could your breastmilk spoil in the fridge after a day of being in there, that's impossible unless it's the worst fridge on earth?? How long does it take you to get home.. If it's less than a 3 hours and it's not 100 degrees where you are there is no way your BM is going to spoil that fast. Breastmilk has antibodies and enzymes in it that protect it from spoiling quickly.. And, I don't understand how it is that much of a pain since you likely take breaks anyway and it doesn't take that long to pump..

I think you are coming up with excuses and the way you are framing this in your mind is the reason you want to stop...

Frame it like it's the BEST thing you could do for your baby. It's SO healthy and so much better for your baby than exclusive formula. It could even save your babies life if she/he gets sick and it prevents illness.

I think you just need to think about all of the benefits for a minute and rest on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• OP: We are putting him on soy formula. Fortunately I am only technically working part time 5 days a week. But as a waitress having to go pump right when it gets busy is costing me money, which then makes it difficult to pay the bills. I do know the storing guild lines but it seems that my milk is just fast spoiling!
    My sister did formula while she was at work and then breast feed while at home and at nights when my niece got to the stage of perfering solids over breast milk.
    Like I said I love our time while breast feeding but I just really feel like it's times to be done even though I honestly couldn't tell you WHY I feel this way.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• There are reasons why breast milk spoils fast, look them up I have! The only way to fix that is to scold the milk immediately after pumping, I obviously can't do that at work. And I only get a 10 minute break most days, and usually need to pump more than once in a 5 hour time frame. As stated above I am a waitress it's hard to get away from my work to pump.

I love my child, there is no doubt about that. He means the world to me, but I cannot help how I FEEL! For all you know this could be the onset of PPD. This has been swimming in my head for the last 2 weeks! I have thought it over and over and over many times. I just feel that it's time for whatever reason.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 1:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• You are not a bad mother. You gave six months to breast feeding! There are people on here who will think its appalling that you are going to stop breast feeding your five year old.
    Honestly your baby doesn't need as much milk as he used to. You probably don't have to pump on your lunch break anymore since you are working part time. Make your life easier by multitasking hun. Pump one breast as your son nurses from the other one. Pump extra on the weekends and freeze it. Freezing it will last six months or so. You could always pump a ton and store it. Breast milk does not have to come from the breast you can put it in a bottle and not have to spend the extra money on formula (it is expensive) Most pediatricians say to switch to cows milk, soy milk or lactaid free milk by age 1 anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I would say formula feed while at work, breast feed at home and at night. I did that with my oldest. He is normal....except now he is 15 and we all know that age isn't normal. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• try freezing it like they said and also try starting him on some solids and it will lessen the amount of bf he wants from you. he is 5months right? if so that is ok to give him liquidy solids. but dont feel bad your not a bad mom. when i has my son i felt like a bad mom because i couldnt make breast milk after the first month and a half, so he had to go on formula. and i thought it was gunna make less smart too but now he is 3yrs old and knows almost 7 languages!!! your doing fine and the very best you can! try going to a wic place they have breast feeding classes and well give you all sorts of breast feeding techniques and different ways of storing it. keep your head up your a good mom for even doing it in the first place!
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 3:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Do your best to look at baby and realize that introducing formula into his diet may cause pain and severe discomfort especially if he already has a milk sensitivity. I personally would choose to deal with my own discomfort then to ever put my child in a situation where pain is going to happen or is even a possibility.  Baby should always come first especially when speaking about their main source of nutrition.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Do your best. It is extremely hard to pump as a waitress, even I will admit that. I would make sure you're sure. Your milk shouldn't be spoiling like that. I would check your storage methods.

Guilt is a funny thing. If you're feeling guilty, perhaps you have a reason to. OR you might not. Examine it. I will say everyone has feelings of wanting to quit at one time or another, but I don't know any people who regret feeding to 12 months and avoiding buying formula. Make sure is what i'm saying.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 23, 2010