how to feed a family of 5 for ?

68 .00 bucks for a week ? any good ideas ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• plan your mealsaccording to whats on sale @ ur local store. and use coupons if u can or buy store brand
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I feed a family of 4 for $50.00 a week so it's totally obtainable. First of all I shop at ALDI which is a local discount grocery store. I always buy generic and I only buy what I need. "Treats" are only bought if there is extra money left over. I plan out my menu before I go and get what I need to make those specific meals. There are lots of cheap meals you can make for your family like spaghetti, tacos, pork chops, chef salad, sloppy joes, hamburger helper, etc. Get creative! For example I take 2 boxes of the beef flavored rice, mix it with 1 lb of ground beef and add a little worsteschire sauce to it and my family loves it. Served with some green beans and crescent rolls and we have a decent meal for $5.00!! Taco burgers are fun too. Mix ground beef/turkey with taco seasoning packet for something different. And if all else fails - feed them grilled cheese and tomato soup!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Campbell's soup recipes are easy and cheap. Their website has great ideas! And if you want to buy the generic soup and just use the recipe it would still work out just fine!

Also check out allrecipes.com. There are a lot of great ideas on there and they have a budget cooking section.

Buy meals first - snacks/junk last!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I feed a family of 7 for about 60 a week, including a food allergy child who requires different foods. I shop a lot at Aldi, but I also check sales at local stores and print coupons that match whats going on sale. If you spend some time researching and printing, you can get some really good deals. Also, think bulk. I buy ham and whole turkeys when they go on sale. Last week, Aldi had spiral hams on sale $5 off. I picked up 2 of them at $8 each, each will feed my family twice with the bone left over to make soup out of (split pea) for a cost of less than 3 dollars per meal, about 5 doolars each if you figure sides in too.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 2:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• wow you guys are creative! i dont really have that problem i just have a very picky eater! but i will definitly try those things any way. thanks! oh btw my favorite is what i call chilimac. i take a box of generic mac n cheese, a can of chili(doesnt matter what kind, choose one you like or fits your budget better) and cut up hotdogs! its yummy and its one concocktion i have tried that my really picky 3 year old will eat! also beef topraman and scrabbled eggs. lol or the soup thing.
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 3:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• go to these websites, and GL

http://www.livingonadime.com/authors.htm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375752250/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1X2GGYWN4CHSA69SV91J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846 buy this book used

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/

http://www.frugalvillage.com/

If this is something you are serious about, you need to take a great amount of time and learn how to cook from scratch and from a stocked pantry. It won't come overnight, it's not easy and nobody can give you an easy fix.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:40 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Dried beans and lentils are the best healthy ways to stretch your budget. Send me a message offlist if you would like some great recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Brown rice and beans is always good to have sitting in the frig. I go to the grocery once a week to pick up fresh fruit & veggies that are marked down. I buy frozen fish and chicken when it's buy one get one (or two) for free. I read the store sale ads online to find the best deals before I go. I use coupons and go to a store that offers double coupons. I also go to Winn Dixie that gives me a coupon for $10 off the next time I come back and spend $50.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Time to go to local food banks.
    Anonymous

• I just put a post in food that shows with creativity I feed my family of 4 for 30 plus change. Its doable and time sonsuming.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2010