DO EPIDURALS REALLY WORK? AND WHEN CAN I GET ONE?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it's supposed to work. the doctor injects it on your back.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 2:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Mine did I loved it. I waited till the very last minute that they would still allow me to get it. I just didnt think I could push through the pain so I waited until the last minute. I did have a friend that her EP was only working on one side, my sister went to the same hospital and she had the same thing happen to her. Luckly I went to a different hospital then they did and mine was perfect it reminded me of morphine because your kinda out of it.. lol
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 2:56 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• YES! it does wonders. lol. i got mine cause i had been in labor for twelve hrs and only dialated 2 cm and my contractions were already 2- 3 mins apart so i figured i would be in labor for a long time. luckily within 4 hrs i went all the way to ten. but the epidural definitely helped a lot. but everyone has different experiences.
    ilybaby8609

Answer by ilybaby8609 at 3:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I had it with my first child. I loved it. with my 2nd child I didnt get it because I dialated too fast so all i got was the interthecal(sp?) and I could still feel the contractions. My 3rd child was pretty much the same as my 2nd. so all I got was the interthecal
    jojolicious220

Answer by jojolicious220 at 3:28 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• They do work. Mine worked great right up until it was time to push, but that is no the norm. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Mine did but they hurt like all hell. They gave mine to me when the contractions got really bad with my first. My second son was a c-section so I recieved it on the table before they layed me down.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 4:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I didnt want an epidural but the dr's kept pushing it because my contractions were off the charts and not going down. Finally i gave in and got one because the pain was unbearable. It didnt hurt much going it, just felt a little weird. I was in labor for 26 hours total. I got my epidural after 16 hours of labor. By the time 26 hrs rolled around i was still only 4 CM. They did an emergency c-section. The epidrual started to wear off during the surgery and i felt almost everything. At first no pain just alot of pressure (which is normal) but when they were stitching me up i felt it and it hurt like hell. The hospital i went to sucked, ive heard alot of women complain about it. I know my story is scary but im sure you'll be fine. If an epidural is what you really want then go for it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My epidural didn't work at all for me. I was in labor for 32 hours when I decided to get one. I felt everthing!

However, I think it works for most people. I'm just one of the few that for some reason it didn't work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I had one, but I didn't plan on getting one. I absolutely HATED it. My body was like a bag of sand. I couldn't move anything at all. I couldn't even change positions in bed, AND there was only pain relief on one side. I'm not sure what the PP above who said she was "out of it" is talking about because it is a spinal block, and it shouldn't really effect your senses other than the sense of feeling in your lower body. It's like Novocaine for your legs.

You can get one as soon as the doctor says that you can stay in the hospital (they know you're in active labor and they're not going to send you home). I waited three days to get one though, and only did it then because my midwife said it would help with my progression...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Mine worked and it was bliss! My water broke at home and by the time I got to the hospital I was already at 6cm so I got my epidural within the hour. Before that, they gave me an injection of Nubian so I didn't feel them doing the epidural. Praise GOD! And after that (my water broke at 3am, I got the epi by 4am) I was able to sleep!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:46 AM on Apr. 23, 2010