What are good ways to tell my toddler that there are "bad people"?

Hi!
Almost everyday I hear or see creepy things on TV. My DD is 2, turning 3 in july. What are age-appropriate ways or phrases to tell her that there are people who could do you harm. That she's not allowed to go with anyone, let alone go into a huis, step into someone's car, unless mommy and daddy agreed first. See, what worries me is the fact, that it does not have to be a stranger. Could be a neigbourgh, a teacher, the candystoreman. "You know me, don't you. Mommy said it's okay, you can come in." ... Aaaaahhh! Just thinking about is makes me sick.
What about touching private parts? How do you explain the difference between dad drying her off after bath and fondling?
I find it really difficult because I want to protect her without scaring living daylight out of her. Please help, all advice is welcome!

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• i tell my 3 year old the truth. ( dont talk to strangers becuase they could take you away from mommy and you wont ever see mommy agian) my kid worries me too he is a bit too freadly with people he says hi to everyone! in the parking lot i taught him that if he is touchin the car he is safe.(safe from other cars of people.)because if he is touching the car he is right by me and i can see him. i havent figured out about the no touching private parts yet. my son doesnt even like to touch his own. i had a hard time teaching him how to pee standing up cause he didnt wanna touch it. i also told him that if anyone takes him that he didnt hear mommy say was ok he needed to use the voice i know he has and scream his little head off!!!!! when i leave him with someone i tell him who i am leaving him with and that i will be back that he needs to not go with anyone else and stay where i left him. (like dont get in a car) idk good luck!
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 3:27 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I have daughters and I don't want anything bad like that to happen to them. I explained to them that NO ONE should touch the areas that are covered with a bathing suit. If somebody did, they have to say NO and tell me. I also tell them to stay away from people's cars, to never go with anyone else except for mom or dad, etc..etc... I tell them if they did, something bad could happen to them. These are real stories of real people and sadly it is happening a lot. The ones that are reported are the tip of the iceberg. We should be vigilant and observant. They are already in grade school and there are places there that I tell them not to go to (huge field, grassy area)because anyone can just walk in there and it's not supervised by the coaches, teachers. When we are in the grocery, I always tell them to stay with me.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 3:17 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• oh and btw i also taught him his full name in case he gets lost as well as my name and a few close friends and relatives. it works we practice it with the neighbor sometimes. i didnt want him getting lsot and being asked what my name is and he only being able to say "mommy". at least with my full name they can find my address and phone number.
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 3:30 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• There are books for just this situation. When I was 4 my mom got me a book about good touch bad touch. It is age appropriate for your daughter to understand with verbage she understands. Hope this helps.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 5:29 AM on Apr. 23, 2010