Can I get in trouble for having two insurance companies at the same time?

I've tricare as we're still covered a 6 month gap after him getting out, and I'm also covered under United Health since his new job. I'm having a baby in a few weeks and because I began my care under the military, i'm continuing to see them etc. But was wondering if I legally need to state one or the other, or do I just go ahead and proceed with the birth under tricare? I'm confused and don't want to do anything illegal..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• HI. You do need to inform them of the other care. It is not illegal to have dual coverage. It is illegal to not tell them so they can bill both parties. AND it is helpful to you so you can get out of paying anything. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Anon is correct.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:56 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• No, not illegal. Yes, you do have to inform them both of additional insurance. With tricare, we get these little cards that show whether or not we have additional health coverage. They don't care how many heath insurance companies you have, just that you disclose them all.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• inform your healthcare providers that you have 2 insurances. they will be able to sort out which is the primary carrier, and which is the secondary carrier.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• i agree let them know that you have two insurances. i would keep with teh original coverage until the baby is born. With both my kids i didn't receive any bills until after the baby was born. With my daughter the insurance changed(not by choice) days before she was born and it messed up the coverage.
    paula405

Answer by paula405 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Tricare requires that if you have another insurance, you put them as the first responsible party and Tricare covers what's left.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2010