Does being a PC society cause the citizens to be weak, or does a weak citizen cause the society to have to become PC?

are we so worried about not offending anyone that almost nothing can be said without first hesitating that one might offend? Wouldn't it be easier if people became strong and confident to the point that they would not become offended at what might be said? Like the chicken or the egg, what came first? Our being offended at the littlest things because we individuals are weak, or the continual move to be more PC has caused us to be easily hurt or offended?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 8:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it began as not wanting to offend a small group of individuals, then grew like the plant in the Little Shop of Horrors, needing more and more and more to keep it going. The end result is that most now hesitate to speak so they do not offend, and there are more people than ever who get offended over the littlest things.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think it's both. I think pandering to those select few that are easily insulted/offended causes others to become/decide they are easily insulted/offended, leading to more pandering. It's a cycle. One causes the other. I think being PC is a good thing, to a point. Obviously, we don't want people using racial slurs, or insulting someone based on sexual orientation, religion, or things like that. But some of it goes too far. The whole "all the kids get on the team, no matter what" is a great example: we're so worried about our kids getting their feelings hurt, but what happens when they are adults and join our world, where our feelings get hurt all the time, if we let them? I do think people should become more confident and stronger, but then again, I'm an insecure mess, so who am I to talk? lol But I do agree that more confidence would lead some people to be less easily offended and hurt.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I do not call it being PC, but rather having manners, decorum and social graces, and I fully support those behaviors.  Further, I truly believe that many are more apt to say things on the Internet that they'd likely never say to someone's face IRL.

All the kids should get on a team, in a recreational league, but if you or your children have ever played in a highly competitive league, all the children do not make the team. If the unskilled kids are never allowed to play how will they ever learn or get better?  Go to a highly competitive school, all the kids do not get A's for just showing up, and the class has 1 Valedictorian.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think it began when we started to focus more on our diversity than our unity as Americans.

360

Answer by 360 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 23, 2010