Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where do I go to find out if it's legal for someone else to file my deceased son's taxes?

My son passed away in Sept. 2009 and his girlfriends father filed his taxes. My son didn't have any living will or anything stateing who was to handle his affairs. Me being his mother should have been notified but I wasn't. The girlfriends father hired an attorney . I just don't understand how this is legal.


Asked by gammy67 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • It is up to the executor of the estate to file his taxes. As next of kin, this would be you unless another person was legally appointed executor.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

  • Not sure about the taxes, but I'm so sorry for the loss of your son

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

  • I'd call the IRS

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2010