Re-Lactating. Need HELP from moms with experience....Possible TMI

Okie doke. DD is now 5 months. When she was born I tried and tried to breastfeed. It was quite painful. I just wasnt properly educated on latching. Truth is just because its natural doesnt mean it comes naturally (to quote another mom). I also could not get up enough of a supply. I never talked to a lactation consultant. Just DD's ped and he said she needed to be put on formula. Okay so we do. I have no problems with. Our other kids were on formula after I FAILED at breastfeeding them.
DD is my LAST and I am DETERMINED to give my baby breastmilk dangit. I've had this breastpump for 6 months now. It doesnt do a dang thing. Nothing comes out at all. I've been told to get a manual one because it may be better for me.

My question is how can i, if I can at all, re-lactate after 5 months without drugs. I'm willing to put in the work. Just need to know where to start. I checked kellymom.com, didnt help me much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am sorry that is me. I hit anon by mistake. Ding dong!
    mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 10:52 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• If you would like to PM me I can give you the information I have on relactating. Unfortunately it is way too much to post here. The first thing you should invest in is a SNS (supplemental nursing system).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Breastfeeding Mom's can help you. Join it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Please come by the breastfeeding moms group. If there are breasts still on your body it CAN be done. But there's a lot of Q&A we need to do with you, and this forum is not at all suited to it. So we'll see you over on the group, OK>? We have a few moms who relactated successfully.

Oh. And an object lesson here...doc is sadly the LAST person you can go to for feeding advice. He gets virtually NO training in med school on the subject, but gets TONS from infant food manufacturers. That is...formula makers. Which makes his advice suspect. It SHOULDN'T be that way...but it is.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I have induced lactation for an adopted baby and am happy to help! My advice is to invest in an At Breast supplementer. I think the Lact--Aid is much better than the SNS for long term use and relactating.

PM me if you want.  I'm happy to give you lots of information and support!

You can also get one on one support by submitting an on-line help form with La Leche League

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2010