Did you have a VBAC? Know someone who did? Need advice.

My Dr is recommending a planned cesarean, and I really want a vaginal birth. My first pregnancy flew by with no complications, not even back pain, until the last week when my blood pressure shot up, and we planned to induce labor. His cord was coming out first and pinching of his oxygen supply, we could hear his little heart slowing down, so the Dr decided to cut him out.

Did you have a vbac?
What were the conditions of your first cesarean?
Know anyone who's uterus ruptured during vbac?
What was the outcome?

I've done some research last night and am leaning towards switching Drs, but I'm really looking for reassurance.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Have you checked out ICAN? It's an organization for women who experienced a c-section. There is good advice and medical facts there.

The Only uterine rupture I have ever heard of was in a woman with no c-section, no complications, and she was not even in labor-- just poof at 35 weeks she woke up in pain. The hospital saved her and the baby. Uterine rupture is very very rare. It's a good scare tactic for lazy doctors. Scheduled c-sections are extremely lucrative and convenient.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• how old is ur 1st baby?? i got pregnant with my son when my daughter was only 7 months old.. i did a repeat c section bc i got pregnant so early. if ur baby is one or older i dont see y u couldnt have a vbac. to tell u the truth its up to u. did u ask ur dr what percent of labor ends up with a ruptured uterus?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I had a VBAC in September. She was baby #4, born at home in the water. The reason I had a C-Section w #3 is not really clear to me, or my OB at the time( she didn't make it in time). As long as your cut is healed right and is the cut from one side to the other(lateral?), you should be good. I definately support VBACs as long as you get the okay. Maybe you can see a midwife, they will go to the hospital w you if you want a hospital birth. I can almost promise that your DR won't let up about the repeat C-section. Some women on here will disagree w me for saying this, but DRs will do that because it is faster for them and makes them more $$, nevermind the fact that it's more dangerous. I've had friends deliver naturally in a hospital and all kinds of DRs and interns run in because they never seen a natural(no epi) birth before- in a hospital! As long as your body is OK- GO FOR IT!! GL2U
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 10:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Women vbac everyday. I never have but know several people that have. my mother for example. First I will say she had me young so she is still young her self. I am the oldest 28 I was a section, my sis was natural, then my brother was a section then I got a sister natural and a brother natural. Plus after them she carried two more pregnancies that were surrogate babies both were natural the last being twins. So I'd say check around, You need to do what you want not what they want. Docs seem so pushy today to do what seems easiest for them. Unless there's some major problem, I say do what you feels best for you and your baby

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• ican-online.org

i haven't had a vbac, but do applaud at your choice to want one. check out some of the natural pregnancy/birth groups. many mom's have had vbac's in those groups. also, i think there are a few vbac groups on CM. that will probably be your best bet in getting lots of info. GL
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:53 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• oh, and as long as your pregnancy is low risk, i recommend seeing a midwife. you can deliver at home, in a birthing center, or in a hospital. i am seeing a group of midwives that deliver at a local hospital. i would rather be at home, but this is what we can afford right now. anyways, midwives are very pro-vbac and won't try to talk you into a c/s.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• definitely join a natural birth group on here. :-) it can take some work to find a supportive OB/midwife. ican is a good resource.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 23, 2010