Do you think a 18 year old full time student should get a job?

Keeping in mind he has a car to support and other hobbies. Do you think a parent should continue to supply everything for him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Nope. At 18 he can get a job. But then he should have already been working if he wants to have a car and other hobbies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think school IS his job. If you want him making good grades he needs the time to study. Many colleges discourage full time students working. It's just too hard for them to adjust to college life, work and do well in class.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• YES! He's 18, welcome to the real world. If he wants to go to school, have a car, go out and do things... he needs a job. I have always hated this idea of "School is there job" -- Umm, no! School is in addition to anything else, just like highschool is. There is no reason that a full time student can't work part time to pay for his own things.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• no at 18 he needs to get a job and support himself, hey maybe he could help you out with paying any small bills you may have. at 16 i got my first job and i had to give my dad money, he was showing me responsableity ( i thinki spelled it right?). after two years of me payng him 50 a paycheck i found out he was putting it in a saving account, when i moved out he gave me all the money i thought he was spending and really he was saving for me!!! lol
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• If he is going to college and getting good grades then I wouldnt fuss over it. It is his job and dont you want your child to do well? If he was slacking and getting bad grades then he doesnt really want to try so i would tell him to get a job
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I was a full time student and had a job at 16..and ever since then too. So yeah, why not?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think it depends on the family's finances, & the kids motivation. It's nice to be able to supply everything, especially if your child is working hard & getting good grades, however, it isn't always practical......& when you have more than one kid, you have to do it for each of them. Our 18 yr old is a full time student in the honor's program, we haven't made him work during the year, but he has to work during the summer. That's for now, we're not sure we'll be able to pay for everything for all 4 years either. If he gets his own car ( he doesn't have one right now) he'll have to pay his insurance, gas & maintenance, we just can't afford to add to our expenses right now.

Our middle child had a job, and paid for his auto insurance and cell phone, but we paid for everything else.

Ideally I would love to be able to pay for everything, but my husband has taken a couple of pay cuts in the last year and a half, and
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• i had jobs earlier then 18, but i had dropped out of HS, and then went back to college at 19 and my mom didnt make me work, she paid all of my bills and gave me spending money because it was hard for me to get used to college, and do good. i need extra help and tutoring and time for homework and studying so ... ill do the same for my kids if they need to me too.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I don't think its unreasonable for a full-time student to have a part-time job. There are lots of kids who do it and manage just fine to keep their grades up. I did....my siblings did. We didn't have a choice. My mom couldn't afford to help with any extras...and even though we will be able to support my children they will be working too.
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 10:13 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I was a full time student and got my first job when I was 15. I got great grades and had a great time. I have worked ever since. I think we are raising the entitlement generation where these kids think we owe it to them. Yes he should get a job to help pay for his expenses. I know many who were full time students, got all A's and had a job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Apr. 23, 2010