Sex Ed

Is sex ed not a subject in school anymore? I have to wonder sometimes! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm not sure it's the same everywhere but in Illinois 5th graders get their first lesson (boys and girls in separate rooms) about their changing bodies and then in High School they take a Health class that goes further into detail. Honestly though, I think if more parents didn't act like it was a crime and talked to their children about it, many youth would be much more informed and making smarter decisions about it. I started talking to my daughter about sex when she was 8!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I actually just wrote a huge paper on Sex Ed in schools for one of my college classes. It was crazy to learn about the different programs...it seems as if it is either "don't have sex at all until you are married" or "have sex, just be safe about it". It is up to each state and school district whether to offer Sex Ed classes in their schools.
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• OP Here, I'm in IL................that's exactly how they did it. But some of these questions make me wonder sometimes. You're right though, more parents need to step up and inform their children rather then making it taboo. Just because you don't talk about it doesn't mean it's not happening.............right?!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• my DD is only 2 but I plan on talking to her about it I just don't know what I'd say :(
    MissMorgan07

Answer by MissMorgan07 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I live in WA and graduated in 06... there is no "sex ed" class but we have health class that goes over drugs, drinking, nutrition, and safe sex
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I'm in NC and while it isn't a subject per say, it is still taught in the middle schools (at least in my county). They do teach that abstinence is the best way to avoid pregnancy and disease, but they also teach that there are methods of birth control with the condom being the best to control both pregnancy and disease. It is optional and many fundamentalist baptist parents around our area do not let their children watch or learn from the program. All four of my children went through it, but not before we had already talked to them about everything that the course was teaching.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• We had no 'sex ed' classes at my high school. I graduated almost 10 years ago. And personally... I don't think it belongs in school. It is the PARENTs responsibility to educate your children about it.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:43 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• OP - So as far as "where babies come from" isn't that learned in health class? AND aren't parents supposed to be teaching their kids this? I am just shocked and find it so hard to believe that some people here post questions regarding pregnancy that you should have learned in HEALTH, SEX ED or AT HOME. (Unless of course you're like 12 on here, then I guess I'd understand. But I've assumed that most on here are old enough to know. Besides if you're old enough to have sex........................)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• The sex ed that goes on in the schools are one of the reasons teen pregnancy & abortion rates are so high. Parents need to be teaching their children proper sex ed at home & with that a bit of self-respect & self-control. We started taking advantage of teachable moments when our children were babies & kept open communication about it all along. We taught them that abstinence was not abnormal & even expected until marriage and at 25 & 19, they are both still virgins.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I an a high school sex Ed teacher and I am not allowed to say the phrase "the penis enters the vagina".... and i am in Cali... Parents protest saying that it is not the schools place, studnets should be exposed to sex ed at home but that only works if parents actually teach it at home, which most dont. Most get this as sex ed. if you have sex you will go to hell... dont do it you body is sacred... period the end.
    Perfection1908

Answer by Perfection1908 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2010