Can i cut my grocery bill for a family of 5??

I have a family of 5 me and hubby, and 3kids. we spend an average of $200 a week on grocerys and sometimes we run out by the end of the week. Does anyone have any meal ideas that are cheap they can share? or a way to cut the cost? you can even plan my 7day meal plan, breakfast, lunch and dinner for me, lol just no seafood i'm alergic. also kid snacks how to make them cheaper. i'm confused here and totally broke

dkej242

Asked by dkej242 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I spend $50.00 a week for a family of 4 so it can be done! I buy generic food (and they don't even notice the difference honestly) and make simple meals like tacos, spaghetti, pork chops, etc. I plan my menu before I shop so I only buy what I need and I buy meal items first and snacks/treats only if there is money left over. Also I have found taking a calculator to the store and adding things up as you go helps! When you see that $ add up so quickly you are more likely to decide that you can "do without" something.

Also, buy in bulk when it comes to meat if you can. For example - I can buy 4 lbs of hamburger for $10.00. Or I buy a package of 10 pork chops for $8.00 and divide the package in half when I get home. Pork chops/pork roast is a very inexpensive meat and there are lots of ways to cook it.

Do you use a crockpot? It is simple and there are many cheap recipes for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Make your own "trail mix" for kids snacks. Mix a box of cheerios (I use generic), raisins, goldfish, etc. and store in a tupperware container. It's cheap, easy and fun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I have a family of four and we cut our bill from about 130 every 2 weeks to about 100 by doing meal planning. I use plantoeat.com. You input your recipes and plan your meals it spits out your shopping list for the meals you planned. You can remove anything you already have. The site has a 1 month free trial (in creditcard input needed to receive the trial) After that it's like 5 a month so nothing compared to the 60 or so I am saving. I LOVE it. NOt only do I know what to thaw the night before but I know I have everything I need to make it. NO extra trips to the store! yay! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• *credit card input NOT needed sorry- not needed is why I liked it lol!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Here are a few lost cost meals I make...

homemade chicken pot pie
    chicken casserole
    breakfast casserole
    spaghetti
    chili pie

I'd be happy to send the recipes if anything looks good to you.

Cream of wheat and real oats are pretty low cost breakfasts and it goes a long way. Good for you, too.
    I catch bread on sale and freeze it.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 11:12 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I spend about $50 a week for my family of 4. Once a month I do go to BJ's and buy the big 10 pound bag of chicken breasts. But I do the majority of my shopping at Aldi and Save-A-Lot. Meats aren't the main portion but I stretch it out with veggies. For example I bought a $4 round steak today at Aldi. It will be 1 dinner and then steak strips for faijitas and for salad toppers for the week. I also bought a whole chicken for $3.64 (by weight) and I'll cook it in my slow cooker for 1 meal and again meats for salads, soup, and faijitas or quesadeas for lunches for everyone for the week. I also bought a package of lean ground beef for $2.85 for making burgers one day for dinner. Then two dinners will be from that big bag of chicken breasts I have, I'm making a pot pie and then grilled chicken breasts another paired with brown rice.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Plan at least one, preferably two, meatless meal each week, so have things like pasta & sauce, veggie soup w/bread or grilled cheese, salad w/bean burritos, etc. You can find tons of recipes for vegetarian meals and have a great variety. Plus, most of the fixings you use for vegetarian meals can be used as sides or ingredients for your other meals, so there is no waste.

Planning meals for each week and shopping according to your menu is an absolute must - no more impulse buys allowed.

For snacks, there is nothing wrong with a piece of fruit or some veggies w/dip as a snack. If you want to have a sweet snack, then make your own brownies or cookies (you can freeze ahead & pull out as wanted), which will be cheaper than store bought, healthier for your kids and taste better, too.
    Anonymous

• man, I thought I was good ! I spend $120 every week for my family of 5 ! I do live in California so it is pretty expensive here and we still have to buy a pack of pull ups every week for night time. Hmmm, time to re-think how I shop ! How do you spend $100 every 2 weeks ?? Does this include things other than food ? Like shampoo, tp, etc ? I try to buy what ever is on sale esp. whole chickens ( $3 per chicken) and a 5 pound hamburger meat pack ( $10 or $6 if I get lucky being on sale). I can get 1 pound of hamburger and make it into 2 meals, we just use less meat. Once in awhile I will buy boneless chicken. Lots of spaghetti, crock pot meals. it can be done. The people who replied inspired me to try harder to get more food from less money. Good luck to you.
    eblue3

Answer by eblue3 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Oh, I also have to add I have 2 very very HUNGRY teenagers ! Who eat everything in sight. Example: a whole box of cereal for one kid in the morning, um, excuse me ? I think I have to hide food so we all can eat the rest of the week. That makes it harder to keep food in the house. All they seem to want is snack foods that are bad for you and no matter what I make, they hate it, well a lot of things I make. I decided to make a folder and file all my family favorites in it so I can just pick through it when I have to go shopping. I hope it works out. Just try to tell your teen that carrot sticks are good for them, riiiiiight. They get money so sometimes they go to the fast food restaurant down the street and get their own dinner, I refuse to buy bad food so if they want it, they'd better pay for it with their own money.
    eblue3

Answer by eblue3 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I would have to recommend meal planning as one of the most important tools to help you cut your grocery bill, and then cooking from scratch would be the next most important.

I take inventory of my freezers & pantry before I plan meals, then try to plan meals based on what I already have. There are a couple of websites that help me do that - www.supercook.com and www.recipekey.com. Then I'll try to plan meals based on what I already have and what is on sale at the stores.

I took an hour today to do just this. I planned 18 - 21 meals (based on possible leftovers) and then went shopping. I spent only $31 plus change for the next 2 weeks worth of groceries plus some birthday party plates and fish food. This was a very unusual amount for me, but I do have to keep it to $60 or less a week for my family of 4 adults & 3 tweens.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2010