anyone travel during second trimester?

My doc told me I can fly, but the best time is when I'm 20 to 28 wks. Anyone travel during that time? How was it like? I'm only 8 weeks and feeling horrible. I'm planning on going to Hawaii for 10 days, I'm a little worry that I'm far away from home and what if i have some complications. Also it's a 8 hr flight, that makes me nervous. This trip is to make up for our honeymoon, so we both really want to go Hawaii only.

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i haven't flown, but if you have complications while your in hawaii, they have hospitals there too. in flight, not sure what procedure is for that. hopefully someone who's flown can give you some advice.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Yes i did. I traveled in the beginning of my third trimester. I was back & forth from Boston to Atlanta my whole pregnancy. I could see people looking at me on the plane though & i just KNEW they were thinking "jeez, i hope she does not go into labor"...LOL!

My Dr. told me i could travel up until the last month of my pregnancy. But, you will probably get a lot of mixed reviews on the subject.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• 8 weeks is not that bad. If anything, you should be feeling better in your second trimester. First & third are the worste.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I did not fly, but when I was 8 months pregnant I did travel to another state for my cousin's wedding. My doctor told me to be sure to stop often and get out and stretch my legs. Although being that far along I had to stop often anyway!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I actually just recently traveled from Cali to Indiana. I'm just barely in my 2nd trimester (almost 17 weeks - was 15 weeks when we flew) and it was fine.

I also flew to Ohio around the same gestation when I was pregnant with my youngest. I ended up getting strep throat, and just went to the ER. They billed my insurance and everything was fine. Anytime you need to, they have hospitals that you can go to if need be. Take your trip and have fun! Hawaii is beautiful!!!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• i went to germany for 3 weeks when i was 33-36 weeks pregnant. the flight there was decent. it was a 10 hr flight plus a layover and another 2 hour flight. all-in-all it took about 20 hrs to get where i was going though. the trip home was pretty rough honestly.

this pregnancy has been a lot tougher on me and i know i would not do that trip again in my 3rd trimester, but i surely could have done it in my second.

i think you will be fine. it might be a rough 8 hrs but it will be so worth it! the chances of complications are pretty slim but you can research medical places nearby before going, and ask your ob for your chart
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I flew and I did a long road trip during my second trimester. It was totally fine. Just make sure you drink lots of water and every hour or so get up and walk around for about five or ten minutes to prevent your legs and feet from swelling and blood clots. I took an empty reusable water bottle through security and then filled it at the water fountain.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I flew from Atlanta to Seattle and back at 20 weeks. It was no problem. We sat in business so there was a bit more space than in coach.
    Anonymous

• You should stop feeling horrible around 15 weeks. The second trimester is usually a breeze. Then in the third, you are big as a house, have to pee every 15 minutes and sometimes your joints ache and it can be hard to get comforable enough to sleep. But the second trimester you rule the world. Go have fun.
    Anonymous

• I made that trip during my first trimester, and I was miserable due to non-stop morning sickness. I felt much better during the second trimester, and the trip would have been much more pleasant then. Hawaii is not a foreign country, and not without medical facilities, so you would have decent care while there if you did need it.
    Anonymous