My 9yr old son was caught looking at porn....need some advice please..

My 9yr old son was caught looking at porn on the internet....is it normal? should i be concerned?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• It is very normal and no you should not be concerned. Have you not talked to him about sex yet? If not, you really need to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• its normal....just dont make a big deal out of it -- it will only make him feel uncomfortable
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think you should be concerned with what he saw. Curious is one thing but on the internet there is no telling what he could witness. I think you should tlk to him about it and not punish him. He is obviously curious..maybe you should get him some books and try to help him with his questions.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Normal? Well that depends. Some porn is very disturbing and should not be viewed by children. Yes, he is a child. I would take the computer and put it somewhere where you have control of it's viewing. I am not sure what kind of mothers those two above are, but I wouldn't say that is completely normal and let it be. Take control. He has no business looking at that stuff at 8. Are you kidding me?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I wasn't saying to sign him up for a membership to a porn site...Geez! But is IS normal for kids his age to be curious about sex and wonder what it's about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I don't think so, My son who is 6, we were drawing pictures and texting each other. I said wow you drew eyes, he said no mom they are boobies.

Mind you he has 3 sisters, so that is 4 woman in my house. I didn't want to laugh, so I had to walk away. :) Honestly, i was shocked and thought it was funny.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• He may have accidentally come across the sight...you key in a word wrong and all kinds of stuff comes up. He may have done that and saw it and was shocked and curious at the same time.
    Try to put parental blocks on your computer so it can't avoid allowing those sights to come up.
    In the meantime, he has saw what he has saw...
    My 10 year old came across an old playboy magazine in the garage.He told me about it, he said there was a disgusting book in the garage,lol.
    I am soooo bad with that kind of stuff with my son. Of course, the right thing to do would be to talk about it with him. I told my son that we needed to talk about it..but were still waiting..havent had time for that talk LOL.. yeah, mommys make excuses to. Good Luck with that!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:20 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• he is just curious if you don't tell him what he wantsto know to he will find out for himself i agree with one of the moms about taking the computer so he won't access any more porn but you shouldn't punish him. kids are curious and he is going to hit puberty soon you might as well give him THE TALK and answer his questions even though he is really young
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• If he was intentionally looking at it (like it wasn't an accident that it was a pop up ad on the screen), then YES, I think you should be concerned. No child should be viewing porn, IMO. I think it's natural for them to be curious about sex and about the opposite sex's bodies, but not porn. I would sit down and have a talk with him.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:37 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• totally normal. when I was 9 I would have done the same thing had the internet been like it is now. and I am a girl. have his dad talk to him about girls, and the internet. maybe get him one of those 'growing up' books too. and let him know you and his dad are there if he has any questions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 23, 2010